Muffin or Barm

The word muffin is thought to come from the Low German muffen, meaning "little cakes".[3] Recipes for muffins appear in British cookbooks as early as 1758. Hannah Glasse's The Art of Cookery contains a recipe for muffins. The muffins are described as being "like a Honey-comb" inside.[4] This is similar to the "nooks and crannies" later advertised as a signature of Thomas' English muffins. Into the early nineteenth century muffins were sold door to door in England by hawkers as a snack bread before most homes had their own ovens. The traditional English nursery rhyme "The Muffin Man", which dates from 1820 at the latest, traces to that custom.[5]
So the answer is it a Muffin or barm is obvious
ITS A MUFFIN

They look like facts to me.

Muffin!

The word muffin is thought to come from the Low German muffen, meaning "little cakes".[3] Recipes for muffins appear in British cookbooks as early as 1758. Hannah Glasse's The Art of Cookery contains a recipe for muffins. The muffins are described as being "like a Honey-comb" inside.[4] This is similar to the "nooks and crannies" later advertised as a signature of Thomas' English muffins. Into the early nineteenth century muffins were sold door to door in England by hawkers as a snack bread before most homes had their own ovens. The traditional English nursery rhyme "The Muffin Man", which dates from 1820 at the latest, traces to that custom.[5]
So the answer is it a Muffin or barm is obvious
ITS A MUFFIN
So the German translation is literally “little cakes”? Little cakes with chocolate chips in for example? This settles it once and for all. Good to see the muffinites concede defeat so gracefully.

As I have said before, Barm Cake is for the upper class, Muffin for the working class.
My Grandad and dad had two Chippies in Gorton, on occations they sold buttered Muffins so people could have a Chip Muffin.
Chip Barm doesnt have the same ring.
It’s not a class thing, it’s a location thing.

In and around the city centre (my Grandad grew up in Cheetham Hill and moved to Moss Side and he calls it a barm cake), South Manchester, Trafford, Salford… it’s a barm or a barm cake.

The further you move out from the areas above towards Yonnerland… it’s a muffin.

It’s not a class thing, it’s a location thing.

In and around the city centre (my Grandad grew up in Cheetham Hill and moved to Moss Side and he calls it a barm cake), South Manchester, Trafford, Salford… it’s a barm or a barm cake.

The further you move out from the areas above towards Yonnerland… it’s a muffin.
My gran was raised in Moss Side. She always said Barm Cake.

Joey Holts have entered the conversation. This is apparently on the wall in the refurbed Lower Turks Head
I know that poet. He’s related on the in law side! A grand, hard working lad and if young Matt, the Thirsty Poet, says it’s a barm, it’s a barm! :-)

During the present crisis Matt was out of work so he set himself up with a mobile bar and coffee shop with a performance as well. He moves from place to place, Worsley, Salford etc., to earn a living. And can even set up in your garden. He was an actor and hopefully will get back to it one day. Just type his name in Google: Matt Concannon, The Thirsty Poet and you’ll see. A business born of lockdown!

No, I’m not his agent *lol* just showing how people can adapt in adversity.

EDIT: Just been speaking to his aunt, my sister in law, and he was in two episodes of Coronation Street last week and is now in rehearsals for a show in Manchester……and no I’m still not his agent! :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.