Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

Avanti website not too informative with regard to our first 2 home games. I can see engineering works will cause some disruption but at present weekends in August are blanked out. Is this simply because revised timetables are yet to be confirmed or should we make alternative travel arrangements now?

Have lived in Lancashire for several years now but did used to travel with the London Branch quite a bit back in the 80s.
When I started going it was £5.60 return from Euston to Piccadilly!! (Used to have those little train tickets that were about a quarter of the size of a credit card with the times of the train written on and were so easy to lose!) It's all relative to a degree, however train travel and football matches (and beer ofcourse which was essential to numb the pain in those days) are things that have got so expensive these days .I really dread to think how much an 'all inclusive' home game would cost these days for blues based in the south east!?
There were 2 options of return trains. There was one just after 6pm which I would normally get after throwing a couple of post match pints down my throat in the old social club and getting a taxi to the station. There was also one just after 5pm, which unless you were pretty fit or very lucky with the buses (unlikely from memory!) would be a real push to get. Maine Road to Piccadilly in about 25/30 mins!! (Mo would do it, however even he's struggling a bit these days!)
There were some people who did get that early train on a regular basis, they will have got to have left early!!??...(some things never change with some people do they!!)

Avanti website not too informative with regard to our first 2 home games. I can see engineering works will cause some disruption but at present weekends in August are blanked out. Is this simply because revised timetables are yet to be confirmed or should we make alternative travel arrangements now?
I think they’re waiting for timetable confirmation. The engineering works are around Stoke so trains should still run via Crewe and Wilmslow. Hope so anyway. But I’m not trying to book tickets until full capacity at the ground is confirmed and we know for sure that the Norwich game isn’t being moved because of the Barcelona friendly

We are all Legacy Fans now remember. It's just a natural evolution. Age limitations eliminates the drive option, shortage of cash scuppers the train option, concern for our own health eliminates the desire, and the non ownership of latesr tech eradicates the ability to deal with eTickets.

In short there comes a time to spend what time and cash we have left doing what we truly enjoy. I rather suspect that for many older fans, this costly, time consuming and newly regulated routine around attending a game, that could once be achieved by a 5p bus ride and 80p admission in an experience that took little more than 3 hours total, will soon wear very thin.
It used to cost me 4d for four bus rides, !/- into the ground and a tanner for a programme, I think! Could be slightly out with my calculations but I seem to recall making the round trip with a two shilling piece.

It used to cost me 4d for four bus rides, !/- into the ground and a tanner for a programme, I think! Could be slightly out with my calculations but I seem to recall making the round trip with a two shilling piece.
Inflation had taken it's toll by the mid 60s when I started going, think it was 3d or 4d for half fare on the 99 from Sale, 2/6d to get in the Scoreboard End or if it was pissing it down 3/6d in the Platt Lane stand and a shilling for the programme, food was a Wagon Wheel, can't remember what they cost. Five bob in total would have been enough for most games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.