Leroy Sané

When you have a reputation on this forum of jumping to defend Bayern anytime someone is critical of them (whether it is constructive or incendiary), it's hard to take your statement of 'trying to be objective' seriously.

Bayern didn't buy Sane for his workrate. Bayern didn't buy Sane for his defensive work. Bayern didn't buy Sane for his tackles or pressures per game. Bayern bought Sane for the fact that he was young, he scores and assists, was German and were miffed that City bought him from Schalke when they thought they had a clear run at him and had their pick of any decent player who plays for other Bundesliga clubs.

Even City fans who rate him would concede that there were some times where he dialled it in. People were prepared to look past it though because when he turned up he was unstoppable, and generally if he had one of those 'off' days, the quality of the rest our squad meant it didn't make a significant difference to the overall result.

You've seemed to conveniently forget some of the most relevant stats to rate an out and out winger - goals and assists.

Bayern 20/21 Minutes - 1807, Goals 6, Assists 9 - Minutes per goal or assist - 120
City 18/19 Minutes - 1867, Goals 10, Assists 10 - Minutes per goal or assist - 93
City 17/18 Minutes 2423, Goals 10, Assists 15 - Minutes per goal and assist 97

You claim he is "working more" at Bayern when actually he is delivering less where it matters the most. I know which one I would prefer...

The thing is that Sane actually works more than at City - and atleast when it comes to xA and xG-values is on City level. He shoots even more, his shots have the same xG value per shot - and he produces as many chances for others. Yes, his production or the outcome is not as good as it was in City in that two seasons - but the performance that sticks behind that is about the same and that is important for me as "overachieving" never really is on long term if you aren't Messi.

But - he does not overachieve his xG and xA-numbers the way he did in 17/18 and 18/19.

Call it unlucky, call it lack of self-confidence... But it is a season at a new club that did not run on the perfect wave this season, the comeback year after a big injury. It might not have been his best season ever - and everyone expects more from him - he had a slow start, a very good middle of the season, and lacks something in the recent weeks.

Bayern bought him because he was a third winger that Bayern badly needed for their playing style. The times with Müller having to play on the wing should have been over - we badly need him behind Lewy and the two carried the team offensively this season. Being German and having been already on that level for sure made him more attractive. And doubts about workrate etc. were there before, too - at Bayern even Robben and Ribery were expected to work hard. Robben never got so much applause for an offensive action as he got when he worked defensively and won a defensive duel in the own defensive third. And yes, the club and the fans expect more from him than what he did this year - and actually more from him than he did at City. He gets critizised a lot from fans and media - but often unmerited. Atleast when you compare his numbers and performances with Coman and Gnabry that seldom are the scapegoats in Germany but the first had 5 goals and 10 assists - Gnabry only had 10 goals and 2 assist - all had about the same playing time.

The same is this thread. No - the glass was not full - but it was not empty either. He might not have started like a rocket but he had his moments.

The thing is that Sane actually works more than at City - and atleast when it comes to xA and xG-values is on City level. He shoots even more, his shots have the same xG value per shot - and he produces as many chances for others. Yes, his production or the outcome is not as good as it was in City in that two seasons - but the performance that sticks behind that is about the same and that is important for me as "overachieving" never really is on long term if you aren't Messi.

But - he does not overachieve his xG and xA-numbers the way he did in 17/18 and 18/19.

Call it unlucky, call it lack of self-confidence... But it is a season at a new club that did not run on the perfect wave this season, the comeback year after a big injury. It might not have been his best season ever - and everyone expects more from him - he had a slow start, a very good middle of the season, and lacks something in the recent weeks.

Bayern bought him because he was a third winger that Bayern badly needed for their playing style. The times with Müller having to play on the wing should have been over - we badly need him behind Lewy and the two carried the team offensively this season. Being German and having been already on that level for sure made him more attractive. And doubts about workrate etc. were there before, too - at Bayern even Robben and Ribery were expected to work hard. Robben never got so much applause for an offensive action as he got when he worked defensively and won a defensive duel in the own defensive third. And yes, the club and the fans expect more from him than what he did this year - and actually more from him than he did at City. He gets critizised a lot from fans and media - but often unmerited. Atleast when you compare his numbers and performances with Coman and Gnabry that seldom are the scapegoats in Germany but the first had 5 goals and 10 assists - Gnabry only had 10 goals and 2 assist - all had about the same playing time.

The same is this thread. No - the glass was not full - but it was not empty either. He might not have started like a rocket but he had his moments.
I agree with a lot of this. I have never thought Sane was lazy but he is a "confidence" player. Like a lot of fast wingers he plays for short periods of intensity. At his peak he is world-class in my view but he is inconsistent and his decision-making is not the best. I also agree that Coman and Gnabry are not better than Leroy
I have watched a lot of Sane's games for Bayern on TV and he definitely looks slower since the bad injury. He just does not go past players like he used to. When a player relies heavily on pace then even a small reduction in speed can have a massive impact. I don't blame him for the move back to his home country. He did a fantastic job for City. I wish him well for the future.

He wanted to leave so watch the door doesn't smack you on the arse on your way through, had some great moments for us but as to how his career continues now I don't give a flying. Only hope he's beyond shite if he ever faces us.

Seems like he is struggling a lot and receives quite a fair share of criticism every so often.

Will probably never reach world-class status as he doesn’t seem able to be at a consistently high level. Little bit like with us, you often noticed instantly which type of game he would have.

Scored some very important goals for us and contributed a lot to the fourmidables and centurions seasons but not someone I miss the slightest.

It's a shame, the City fans respected and supported him but he betrayed us after being charmed by the German rags.

He hasn't got far to look to apportion blame with his greedy mother!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.