Leroy Sané

Would have the guy back in a heartbeat but it'll obviously never happen. Something glorious about seeing a winger work their magic especially when it was Sane.

Used to glide past players and in full sprint looked like he was jogging, balance, skill, pace, finishing - has(d) it all. Just wasn't meant to be here.

What a thread...

Leroy has a season in which he comes back from an injury that took him out of football for a whole year.

He had a season in which he first struggled - than had a period in the middle of the season where he really played very well - and since about March looked overplayed and has his self confidence struck. Offensives need this self confidence...

When it is about being lazy...
Tackles per 90 minutes 1.54, won 1.04 - City 18/19 1.11, won 0.94
Pressures per 90 minutes 19.5, won 6.97 (35.7%) - City 18/19 16.9, won 5.65 (33.5 %)
Shot creating actions per 90 minutes 4.69 - City 17/18 3.76, 18/19 3.57
He has a similar xG per 90 minutes at Bayern (0.28) in comparison to City (0.29) but whereas he had 0.48 goals/90 in 17/18 and 0.37 in 18/90 he only has 0.30 this season. xG per shots is still the same.
His xA per 90 minutes is with 0.32 as high as it was in his best season (17/18 0.29, 18/19 0.32)

Maybe an interesting chapter as it is about his dribblings after the knee injury
20/21 5.6 dribblings - won 4.2
18/19 5 dribblings - won 2.7
17/18 4.9 dribblings - won 2.7

All of that are numbers from EPL or Bundesliga - not the other competitions.
Leroy is working more than he did at City - his pressing numbers are better than at City, better than all players at Bayern without Müller (and Musiala with lesser playing time) and better than any player of City in the 20/21 season.

The only thing that differs actually is his self confidence level. He was on a high in that 17/18 season - and whereas he has been on a good track in the middle of this season - it is currently not very high. Not the best time to go into the Euros - especially in a team with a not really balanced system.

Just tried to make an objective analyzing of his performances. Here and with many Bayern or Germany supporters he does not get that either. Whereas Gnabry does not really get critisised for his performances this season or Coman - all have been about the same mediocre level this season - the two "oldies" carried the attack - Sane is the scapegoat. Especially as he gets critisized for his defensive work because of his "body language" - when he actually did the biggest shift of the wingers.
He is still a brilliant player, but he has obviously lost a yard of pace from a serious injury.
I absolutely loved Leroy at City but I have no love whatsoever for the way Bayern used the media, Loew and removing him from the national team to destabilise him. And then threw him under the bus and scapegoated him.
We have a horrible racist media here in the Uk, as you can see by Sterling’s treatment, but Leroy probably gets worse in his own country

Shit happens when u try to turn a LW to a RW just because he is left-footed. And not only that he’s the scapegoat for everything so ofc his form dropped. I remember some article when he bought an outfit for 20k. Everyone in Germany was talking bout it. Should‘ve never left imo.
20 K is only a good night on the piss for most of these lads.

It seems that you have to have the right mentality, as well as the physical ability to flourish under the bald fraud.

And once a player has mastered the demands placed on him by Pep, he usually goes on to become a real star in the team.

Cancelo and Mahrez are perfect examples of this.
The bald fraud is a mad bastard I would stay a million miles away from him if I was a footballer with a laid back attitude.

Would have the guy back in a heartbeat but it'll obviously never happen. Something glorious about seeing a winger work their magic especially when it was Sane.

Used to glide past players and in full sprint looked like he was jogging, balance, skill, pace, finishing - has(d) it all. Just wasn't meant to be here.
Looking like it wasn't meant to be at bayern so far, i hope he fails at bayern because of my dislike for bayern.

Remember an away game at burnley when he had his “carn’t be arsed head on” pep going mental at him from the touchline for about 25mins, lo & behold guess who was the first player subbed? A world beater on his day but they weren’t often enough, we’ve upped a gear, he’s dropped one

What a thread...

Leroy has a season in which he comes back from an injury that took him out of football for a whole year.

He had a season in which he first struggled - than had a period in the middle of the season where he really played very well - and since about March looked overplayed and has his self confidence struck. Offensives need this self confidence...

When it is about being lazy...
Tackles per 90 minutes 1.54, won 1.04 - City 18/19 1.11, won 0.94
Pressures per 90 minutes 19.5, won 6.97 (35.7%) - City 18/19 16.9, won 5.65 (33.5 %)
Shot creating actions per 90 minutes 4.69 - City 17/18 3.76, 18/19 3.57
He has a similar xG per 90 minutes at Bayern (0.28) in comparison to City (0.29) but whereas he had 0.48 goals/90 in 17/18 and 0.37 in 18/90 he only has 0.30 this season. xG per shots is still the same.
His xA per 90 minutes is with 0.32 as high as it was in his best season (17/18 0.29, 18/19 0.32)

Maybe an interesting chapter as it is about his dribblings after the knee injury
20/21 5.6 dribblings - won 4.2
18/19 5 dribblings - won 2.7
17/18 4.9 dribblings - won 2.7

All of that are numbers from EPL or Bundesliga - not the other competitions.
Leroy is working more than he did at City - his pressing numbers are better than at City, better than all players at Bayern without Müller (and Musiala with lesser playing time) and better than any player of City in the 20/21 season.

The only thing that differs actually is his self confidence level. He was on a high in that 17/18 season - and whereas he has been on a good track in the middle of this season - it is currently not very high. Not the best time to go into the Euros - especially in a team with a not really balanced system.

Just tried to make an objective analyzing of his performances. Here and with many Bayern or Germany supporters he does not get that either. Whereas Gnabry does not really get critisised for his performances this season or Coman - all have been about the same mediocre level this season - the two "oldies" carried the attack - Sane is the scapegoat. Especially as he gets critisized for his defensive work because of his "body language" - when he actually did the biggest shift of the wingers.

When you have a reputation on this forum of jumping to defend Bayern anytime someone is critical of them (whether it is constructive or incendiary), it's hard to take your statement of 'trying to be objective' seriously.

Bayern didn't buy Sane for his workrate. Bayern didn't buy Sane for his defensive work. Bayern didn't buy Sane for his tackles or pressures per game. Bayern bought Sane for the fact that he was young, he scores and assists, was German and were miffed that City bought him from Schalke when they thought they had a clear run at him and had their pick of any decent player who plays for other Bundesliga clubs.

Even City fans who rate him would concede that there were some times where he dialled it in. People were prepared to look past it though because when he turned up he was unstoppable, and generally if he had one of those 'off' days, the quality of the rest our squad meant it didn't make a significant difference to the overall result.

You've seemed to conveniently forget some of the most relevant stats to rate an out and out winger - goals and assists.

Bayern 20/21 Minutes - 1807, Goals 6, Assists 9 - Minutes per goal or assist - 120
City 18/19 Minutes - 1867, Goals 10, Assists 10 - Minutes per goal or assist - 93
City 17/18 Minutes 2423, Goals 10, Assists 15 - Minutes per goal and assist 97

You claim he is "working more" at Bayern when actually he is delivering less where it matters the most. I know which one I would prefer...

Last edited:
He left us, young and stupid, manipulated and I hope he fails at Munich for his decisions, horrible horrible club!
Hey Madchester. Not sure I want to see him fail but entirely agree with your comment on the German Rags. I wonder if most folk realise how much BM do manipulate and orchestrate their transfers and how little they spend given the quality they sign.

Most City fans think we were robbed by BM and maybe we were but amazingly Leroy is their second most expensive signing of all time. They have only spent over €45m once which is staggering. It’s ironic that their most expensive signing at c€80m and Leroy at c€45m have both underperformed.

When the super Lge does land they should merge with the Rags. They were made for each other. Arrogant, entitled sets of bastards.

Seems like you sold him at the right time. He's been mostly terrible whenever I've seen him for Bayern. Almost shockingly terrible compared the bright young talent that used to terrorise this league. I do hope he finds his feet again. He's so good to watch when he's in form.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.