Harry Kane

The problem with the youth system is that PL teams are too rich. They're a bit lazy, so they buy instead. I don't blame them, cos most of us would take the easy route too given the choice, but this is the consequence. We have absolutely loads of high quality youngsters. Plenty of England's youth teams over the past few years have been winning tournaments as we have lots of exceptional quality. Just clubs who would rather buy instead.

I don’t think it’s laziness.

It’s the pressure to win or face the financial consequences, whether that be relegation or missing out on the title or Champions League places. Not only that but the backlash from fans as well.

Having lost Aguero, we need a ready made world class forward replacement. At this level we can’t hang back and wait 3-4 years for Delap to be scoring 25 PL goals a season. There’s no guarantee that will ever happen either.

I think Pep is our greatest manager ever, so please excuse the next comments. I felt the money going into the academy was to produce players for the first team. I believe I was wrong and that the academy is a cash cow for the club. I have no issue with that ,and it has made serious sums of money that is then used to then buy players who are proven. The fact that Phil is the only one to really have made the grade in 10 years is for me a shame. Sad Sancho wasnt able to stay at the club and have a chance.We now have the resources to buy for a weakness rather than nurture our youngsters to fill that weakness. As a loyal blue, there is something about one of your own coming through the ranks that means so much to me. If Phil continues his development, stays at the club, he will be a total legend for us.Would love to see more like Phil playing. My one and only criticism of Pep would be that youngsters like Lavia, Edozie, may well be tempted by Dortmund for lack of opportunity at City etc. We had enough games to give Delap and others a chance. Last season when the title was wrapped up, why not give them a full game, not 10 minutes ?
I just wish to say this is not a criticism of City,or Pep, more a personal wish.
Totally agree, if no striker arrives then Delap needs to be involved in first team matches. Letting our only striker leave on loan would be utter stupidity, but that's what I think we'll do

I don’t think it’s laziness.

It’s the pressure to win or face the financial consequences, whether that be relegation or missing out on the title or Champions League places. Not only that but the backlash from fans as well.

Having lost Aguero, we need a ready made world class forward replacement. At this level we can’t hang back and wait 3-4 years for Delap to be scoring 25 PL goals a season. There’s no guarantee that will ever happen either.
No guarantee Delap is good enough but I have no doubt if any of these kids have the talent, attitude and desire they will get the chance and there is no one better to guide them than Pep.

The problem with the youth system is that PL teams are too rich. They're a bit lazy, so they buy instead. I don't blame them, cos most of us would take the easy route too given the choice, but this is the consequence. We have absolutely loads of high quality youngsters. Plenty of England's youth teams over the past few years have been winning tournaments as we have lots of exceptional quality. Just clubs who would rather buy instead.
I agree that PL teams are too rich but not sure I agree that they are lazy. There is such a fear of relegation and loss of revenue at the lower end that the risk of playing youngsters and thus losing points precludes it. At the top close margins and established first teamers egos seem to be a big factor.

Our bench last week did find space for Palmer and Edozie who had done well in pre-season but was packed with first teamers who had very few training sessions and were not really ready.

I think a few simple rule changes could transform the situation. e.g. mandate that two of the nine sub spaces must be used for club developed players with less than say 20 appearances and allow five subs with two having to be those younger players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.