Kompany & Silva Statues

Said it before but this doesn’t sit comfortably with me for some reason, I think it is too soon. I don’t dispute the contribution they’ve made, clearly some of the best players to pull on the shirt.

My gripe is we should also celebrate our amazing pre-takeover history, why not statues for the likes of Eric Brook, Colin Bell, Francis Lee, Peter Doherty etc etc. Just seems a bit too soon as I said, especially considering our long history.

Either way it’s well deserved & we were truly privileged to watch these lads for 10+ years in the blue shirt.

Surely the unveiling would include them both being present? Not sure how that works with their commitments?

Said it before but this doesn’t sit comfortably with me for some reason, I think it is too soon. I don’t dispute the contribution they’ve made, clearly some of the best players to pull on the shirt.

My gripe is we should also celebrate our amazing pre-takeover history, why not statues for the likes of Eric Brook, Colin Bell, Francis Lee, Peter Doherty etc etc. Just seems a bit too soon as I said, especially considering our long history.

Either way it’s well deserved & we were truly privileged to watch these lads for 10+ years in the blue shirt.

What would you say validates a statue as Sterling will have played more games for the club than Franny Lee did by the end of the season and has won considerably more.

What would you say validates a statue as Sterling will have played more games for the club than Franny Lee did by the end of the season and has won considerably more.
I don't think it's so much a case of deciding whether or not a player is 'statue worthy' but rather that a certain amount of time should pass once he's retired before it's considered. Around 10 years feels right to me. Not too long ago, it was considered inappropriate (by society in general, not just football) to have a statue of anybody whilst they were still alive. That idea gradually disappeared and then Arsenal took it a step further by putting up statues of Bergkamp, Adams and Henry within a season or two of them retiring.
I'm not for one minute suggesting the Kompany and Silva statues aren't totally merited but it doesn't sit that well with me that they're appearing so quickly. Just my opinion and I'm still looking forward to seeing them.

Looks like it’s happening. Presumably Aguero is getting his own separate one.

Ridiculous for an old fart like me but this pic makes me feel so sad....

E9UsDmzWEAUa2I-

I don't think it's so much a case of deciding whether or not a player is 'statue worthy' but rather that a certain amount of time should pass once he's retired before it's considered. Around 10 years feels right to me. Not too long ago, it was considered inappropriate (by society in general, not just football) to have a statue of anybody whilst they were still alive. That idea gradually disappeared and then Arsenal took it a step further by putting up statues of Bergkamp, Adams and Henry within a season or two of them retiring.
I'm not for one minute suggesting the Kompany and Silva statues aren't totally merited but it doesn't sit that well with me that they're appearing so quickly. Just my opinion and I'm still looking forward to seeing them.
Had the country adopted your thinking it would have saved us the embarrassment of pulling down numerous Jimmy Saville statues across the country ; )

Reactions: jma

I've got a picture of my wife with Colin's statue which is (was) in the main entrance.

istory? the club started in 2011, keep up la

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.