Txiki Begiristain

Bringing daft little soundbites into it - that are factually incorrect - makes you look silly.

This is a thread about Txiki Begiristain who is Basque, not Catalan. And it is about Txiki Begiristain as an individual, not about the wider boardroom at City.

Now, it does have to be said, that we failed FFP through our finaincial disparities in the finaicial years of 2012 and 2013. Txiki started at City in October 2012. So this was partly, or majoritarily, during the first part of his tenure. However, as DoF he is not ultimately responsible to run the financial side of our business as money comes in and goes out of the club in many other areas than the football teams.

To be fair though, with his contribution, we have been financially excellently run since then. We have not had a net spend over the money we get from the TV revenue deals since the 2014-15 season.

This Basque man is doing a fine job as Director of Football at City. In his time with us we have won 13 trophies. The only club anywhere near us in that time is Chelsea with 8 trophies.

In Txiki’s nine years with City we have finished as Champions 4 times, and Runners-up 3 times. Only finishing 3rd once and 4th once. We are the only team in that time to finish in the Top 4 every season, with 7 years out of 9 years in the Top 2!

Look at the money we make from our transfers out. We are ridiculed about our expenditure as a club, but Txiki has overseen that City have brought in over £400m in the last five years from transfers out of the club with 50% of that being from sales of our Academy players.

Have we made transfer mistakes? Yes. Of course. Have we mostly got it bang on though? Yes, bloody of course! You don’t win 13 trophies, with 4 league titles, finishing in the Top 2 seven times in nine years if you’re not getting it right.
Well you can fuck off with that nonsense ... far too good for the Txiki haters. ;)
Well said PC.

Now, if we were to discuss what our wider boardroom have got wrong over the years, I could write you a book including (and not exhaustive of) emails that have been sent including language in very poor taste; who was ultimately responsible for our financial irregularities in 2012 and 2013; how easy our computer systems are to hack as a club; how we got Liverpool to pay us a £1m settlement which meant the FA couldn’t pursue charges against them for breaking the law; the way our fans have been treated over the years with seat movements, price rises, away allocations, ticket tout sites and tour companies changing our match going fanbase for the worse; the state of the grounds around the Etihad; transport to and from the stadium; etc.

We could have a lengthy negative discussion. But let’s do that in another thread, because none of it has anything to do with our Basque Director of Football. Who does a great job, in my opinion.

Tbh we’re in agreement on most things from what I’ve seen you post in various other threads.

I’m not here for an argument.

I do feel that someone needs to be held seriously accountable for the humiliating and very public shambles of a window we’ve had though. It’s been a catalogue of shit planning and fuckups in full view of our competitors and the world. Be that Txiki, or Ferran, or whoever.

If not resign then some kind of acknowledgement of their failings is needed, and a recalibration of how we conduct ourselves in the transfer market.

It’s linked to the whole obsession with optics our board have. They crave to be loved and not thought of as “moneybags City”. Our PR department are WOEFUL and have been for years.

But you’re right, this is a bigger discussion for another day.

Listen this is all fascinating, but can I just point out that Txiki Begiristan is not in charge of how much we bid and whether we pay a certain price or not.

He's the Director of Football, not the owner or CEO.
I see a few old hand regular posters are posting sensible comments whereas the newbies (which category I fall into, are posting shite)

A lot seem to think Txiki - Scouts, Convinces, Brown envelopes (the Utd way) Sets the fee, Agrees the contracts, Coaches and Selects the players for the team to win the shedload of trophies we have won while he has been here.

Unbelievable the shite that gets posted when we miss out on a player.

Txiki is a cog in the City machine.

Don't want to piss on anyone's parade - but generally but budgets etc are generally approved at exec level so Khaldoon & Mansour - so if you want to have a go point your fingers at them.

I'm sure the board feel we are constantly under scrutiny and UEFA and the other clubs are always looking to do something to hurt us -

There are only a handful of players out there that can make us better - Striker wise - Kane, Haaland, Mbappe. Neither Kane (Spurs won't sell) or Mbappe (doesn't want City) can be bought. There will be issues with Haaland in my opinion because it's us.

I remember reading the forums when Ings & Lukaka were mentioned and all the footy managers on here laughed it off and said not good enough.

from my conversations with some fans and people who know about City - Txiki has a hell of alot to do with the full football strategy - he is the reason Pep is here, the minute he left Barca - Pep was gone.

Point your fingers at Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour - that's where the limits are set for transfers and budgets

I also believe clubs are conspiring against us when it comes to transfers - its another way of stopping us

Fair point Jim and probably I like many others just get so tired of some Mooners continually moaning about our Board,that we feel we have to defend them from some of the moronic posts ... but yes mate point taken and hey mate the Mods do have a difficult time in trying to control the posts.
;) ;)
I’ve said it before but we are in danger of the entitled fans becoming a stronger voice and it’s up to the more reasonable ones to suppress this before we become like our cross border neighbours.

Fair point Jim and probably I like many others just get so tired of some Mooners continually moaning about our Board,that we feel we have to defend them from some of the moronic posts ... but yes mate point taken and hey mate the Mods do have a difficult time in trying to control the posts.
;) ;)
You and me, both. Justified, and constructive, criticism is not an issue. I don't think the board are perfect; far from it. They've made mistakes. And it's perfectly acceptable for them to be called out for said mistakes. But some of the criticism has been way OTT. Would I change them, and get new people in? No. We both remember other times, under other boards, that were grim. The way the whole club was being run back in those days was a joke. What this hierarchy has done for the club this past 13 years (since we were founded!) FAR outweighs the mistakes in handling transfers.

I believe our transfer windows up till now for the last 5 to 6 years have been successful. We are no pushovers, we have a plan and guidelines. Hence we won 3 of the last 4 premier league titles and every Carabao Cup for the last 4 years!

Clubs are always trying to push Man City to do the impossible and City are turning this down and going else where. Biggest example is the Koulibaly fiasco. We dodged a bullet there and got a Gem in Dias who is probably 10 times the player Koulibaly would have ever been at City.

We need to put our trust in the board the Txiki. They are not going to allow agents to push us around.

You and me, both. Justified, and constructive, criticism is not an issue. I don't think the board are perfect; far from it. They've made mistakes. And it's perfectly acceptable for them to be called out for said mistakes. But some of the criticism has been way OTT. Would I change them, and get new people in? No. We both remember other times, under other boards, that were grim. The way the whole club was being run back in those days was a joke. What this hierarchy has done for the club this past 13 years (since we were founded!) FAR outweighs the mistakes in handling transfers.
Very well said mate and as a previous poster has just stated and a very good comment from him,that we (some fans) are behaving like self entitled fans and becoming too Raggified.

We have a squad regarding as probably the best ever in football and a manager again regarded as probably the best ever/best out there atm. Doing a fantastic job long may it continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.