Tennis Thread

She is beautiful
Which can be helpful, commercially, but requires the utmost focus to have the ambition to max out on your talent. Anna Kournikova is the most obvious example of a talent who was, perhaps, distracted by huge commercial opportunities because of her looks.

Not watched any US Open but must make the effort to catch her QF. Watched some Wimbledon and Emma rally impressed. The big stage got to her at the end but given just how inexperienced she is, she ought to be able to overcome that. I think she has the potential to be a huge star: she appears to be the complete package, including seeming to have her feet on the ground.

They said pre match that she is only the 4th woman after Graf, Seles and Capriati to make the 4th rd or better in their first two Grand slam events.

The bookies have her at just 7/1 to win the tournament which is crazy when she was an complete unknown a couple of months ago!
Bencic her next opponent is the 5/1 tournament fav.
She's in good company there. She has been playing in tourneys in the US, and looks fitter and stronger than at Wimbledon.

I know her background. I'm just saying what her likely fate is after Froome, Ruzedski etc.
Froome and Rusedski also had more popular athletes to compete with for attention initially/throughout.

Raducanu has a clear run to the top. As long as she does well and isn't a complete mug on interviews (she seems to be ok enough) then the public will latch on to her the same as any other.

Lewis Hamilton is a great example of a very British athlete with a very British name not getting anywhere near the level of respect he deserves, so it's more complex than just 'background'

True, and apparently only arise after you have been refused permission to miss press conferences.
Sorry, but there is an element of manipulation here.
I prefer the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.

Incidently, Osaka lost in the last 32. Since she could not play in France or Wimbledon due to depression meaning she could not face the press, Osaka has:
Launched her own clothing brand, with a press day;
Appeared on the front cover of Sports Illustrated, with an interview inside;
Apologised for "handling the issue badly."
Played in some other events.
Hmmm....
I think my scepticism was justified.

Mental health issues are not linear.

True, and apparently only arise after you have been refused permission to miss press conferences.
Sorry, but there is an element of manipulation here.

I prefer the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.

Seems pretty straightforward, she's told everyone that she's got a massive anxiety problem around the expectations of her on a tennis court that's lead to her being depressed and the press conferences are the most direct form of that, where she has to sit and be grilled about everything that went wrong for half an hour whenever she loses a match.

Doing an interview for a magazine, or getting her picture taken, or embracing a hobby like her fashion line obviously isn't going to be an issue, it's nothing to do with tennis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.