The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

It’s to do with an inept government. No plan just knee-jerk and u-turn.
Then most western governments must be inept as they are in the same position. The Road Haulage Association has estimated that up to 20,000 HGV drivers from the EU left during the Brexit process, but we have a shortage in this country of circa 100,000 drivers. Poland currently has a shortage of 123,000 lorry drivers, Germany around 60,000, France 40,000, Spain and Italy, 15,000 each, USA 100,000, China 4m.

There are shortages - my supermarket freezers have been empty for weeks; my pet food dealer had no food because of three failed deliveries. That is an environment that creates nervousness and the public then reacts, buoyed by media headlines. These shortages are primarily the result of poor leadership, however it is dressed up, and largely (as identified by the head of the hauliers association) a consequence of Brexit, the referendum brought to the people by David Cameron and voted for by the people because of the clear lies that they were told by government and others. What is happening now is the consequence of that.
It's a bit rich that the head of the Freight Hauliers Association coming out and whining about it now because the industry has been shite for years, well before Brexit. I knew ADR drivers who were jumping ship 25 years ago because it was going down the pan, and it's not really recovered that much since then in terms of pay and conditions.

I have an Uncle who used to drive HGVs. He was made redundant from a different driving job before COVID and has been looking for a job ever since. He will not go back into driving lorries at any cost. He says it's a horrible job that's progressively been made worse over the last two decades (through a reduction in facilities available to drivers, like toilets and showers, and constant additions in red tape). If someone like him won't drive them now, what hope is there?

We may as well accept it's a job no-one wants to do and invest in driverless technology to get that working ASAP.

Then most western governments must be inept as they are in the same position. The Road Haulage Association has estimated that up to 20,000 HGV drivers from the EU left during the Brexit process, but we have a shortage in this country of circa 100,000 drivers. Poland currently has a shortage of 123,000 lorry drivers, Germany around 60,000, France 40,000, Spain and Italy, 15,000 each, USA 100,000, China 4m.

The industry has been on its backside for years. The government did nothing to address this and if you don’t think it’s worse here than Europe, you’re completely insane.

Anyway, the temporary visas will sort it!

The industry has been on its backside for years. The government did nothing to address this and if you don’t think it’s worse here than Europe, you’re completely insane.

Anyway, the temporary visas will sort it!
I understand you now, you are a follower of Corbyn and Rayner!

I had to fill up at the weekend as I've to drive down to Yorkshire today back Wednesday. I'm hoping 1 tank will do it as the likelihood of filling up for the journey back looks remote!

There are shortages - my supermarket freezers have been empty for weeks; my pet food dealer had no food because of three failed deliveries. That is an environment that creates nervousness and the public then reacts, buoyed by media headlines. These shortages are primarily the result of poor leadership, however it is dressed up, and largely (as identified by the head of the hauliers association) a consequence of Brexit, the referendum brought to the people by David Cameron and voted for by the people because of the clear lies that they were told by government and others. What is happening now is the consequence of that.
Your what now? Does your ferret have a crack addiction?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.