#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the faith Pablo
Trust me on this but he will bounce back :)
Pep has tried for an entire year. Last year he was as good as Mendy, but unlike Mendy, Sterling started +25 games. Some of them on the left and some on the right. FFS he’s had almost 2 year with low level, and Pep still treats him away better than players with similar output. How longer should we wait? Should we just risk losing points and trophies tryying to recover him? 2 years Pep has tried. No Sterling fan can say he hasn’t been given a chance.

It seems to me like the main issue is Jesus isn’t good enough as a centre forward, but for some reason Pep prefers to play him in Sterling’s best position on the right wing.

In my opinion all of our issues would disappear overnight if we just signed a proper striker! Then play Sterling on RW and Jesus as back-up striker/Carabao games. Everything boils down to not having a proper centre forward.
Pep will never play sterling on the right long term in the team. I think this is because sterling wants to play on the left. I dont see where sterling fits in now hes gone from undroppable to third choice. its honestly hard to believe.

He's done well at Anfield the last couple of times he's played there but I'd be v surprised if he in the starting 11 at the weekend. I'd say Jesus and Foden are certs to start in the front 3 but with, for the first time, a question mark against Grealish so who knows...
why ? against grealish great player must play and if sterling is going to get back to best he needs to play on right side

It seems to me like the main issue is Jesus isn’t good enough as a centre forward, but for some reason Pep prefers to play him in Sterling’s best position on the right wing.

In my opinion all of our issues would disappear overnight if we just signed a proper striker! Then play Sterling on RW and Jesus as back-up striker/Carabao games. Everything boils down to not having a proper centre forward.
For some reason: Jesus having more goals and assists in 1 month than Sterling in the last 9 months. Very small reason. And I didn’t include that Jesus presses more than Sterling and is more technically gifted.

I wouldn't blame him for running his contract down at this point because he's being treated like shit. He hasn't started a game in his best position (wide right) for months. And before people come along to say that he's played brilliantly on the left before - yes, he has. But, bar the odd game, it only tended to be when he was in particularly great form and had real confidence in front of goal (18-19). Even then, some of his best performances came on the right wing, against Southampton and Liverpool at home that season. The following year, he was our only winger who could play on the left, due to Sane's injury, and while he scored a lot of goals, it wasn't without a long dry patch in the middle. Indeed, he scored several of his post lockdown goals playing from the right, with Phil on the left.

He's not being given a consistent run in the side to get his form back, and when he does start it's in a position which is completely alien to him, and only serves to make him the scapegoat for every game we don't win. Don't get me started on his treatment by our fans, online and in the ground.

A player of his stature and ability (see his performances in the Euros for proof he's still got it) deserves better. He's our best right winger for fucks sake, but he's forced to play elsewhere to accomodate Jesus and Mahrez? One of which was, until last season, considered a perfectly serviceable centre forward (but is now forbidden from playing there), and the other who has had about 6 good months in total in a City shirt.

I wrote on here a while ago that Pep's use of his forwards baffled me, and it's only gotten worse. Everything that people have praised Jesus for doing on the wing, Sterling has been doing for years. The only problem is, we only see it for England now. Meanwhile, instead of getting our only actual centre forward into goalscoring form, we're sticking him on the wing and playing Sterling up front.

Mind. Boggling.

It’s true if you start on the right the ball stops bouncing back of your legs and you can suddenly pass the ball to an average level. Give it up he has been poor for a long long time. It’s not his fault, Peps, the fans or the media.

A goal or a good game won’t alter this but people will come on here and say see I told he was good. It won’t wash. He is a highly paid pro footballer and unless he improves and plays consistently well he will be gone. How does he do this? God knows I don’t think he has a clue himself. He is technically inadequate and without space to run into he is taking the place of someone who actually has the basic skill of controlling a football.

No one wants him to be poor selling and replacing him would be very expensive but you can’t be this bad for this long.

I think Sterling will regain form in 2-3 months. His confidence is shot right now, but his movement is still good.

why ? against grealish great player must play and if sterling is going to get back to best he needs to play on right side

Cos my mate's mate's cousin said he's fucked physically and mentally after the biggest month of his career.
City, England, Champions League ... adapting to the way we play....physical levels dropping and Liverpool will be one hell of a physical challenge... so all I'm saying is I won't be surprised if he isn't in the team...

Nothing to do with Sterling who won't start and Foden will start on the left.

Pep has tried for an entire year. Last year he was as good as Mendy, but unlike Mendy, Sterling started +25 games. Some of them on the left and some on the right. FFS he’s had almost 2 year with low level, and Pep still treats him away better than players with similar output. How longer should we wait? Should we just risk losing points and trophies tryying to recover him? 2 years Pep has tried. No Sterling fan can say he hasn’t been given a chance.

I love the comparison with Mendy but not as good as Grealish is just an expensive Nolito.

A 2 year low level you say? So all of 19/20 and 20/21. Personally I think that's bollocks.

And what's all this "we" nonsense? If Pep picks him he picks him because he thinks he's the right man for the job on any given day. If he doesn't he doesn't. I'm ok with that.

I love the comparison with Mendy but not as good as Grealish is just an expensive Nolito.

A 2 year low level you say? So all of 19/20 and 20/21. Personally I think that's bollocks.

And what's all this "we" nonsense? If Pep picks him he picks him because he thinks he's the right man for the job on any given day. If he doesn't he doesn't. I'm ok with that.
Grealish has only 6 matches, and if we compare his 6 matches with the last 6 matches from Sterling, then Grealish looks like Maradona reincarnated. Not only his stats are better in both goals and assists, but his dribbling, the fouls he gets, chances created, key passes are also all better than Sterling’s. What do you think about that?

Almost 2 years: December 2019- now.

Just answer these questions:

Has Sterling been the worst offensive option in the last year and a half?
How much do we have to wait for the 2nd highest salary from the team to produce?

Tell me one player that plays as much as Sterling does and that has produced less than Sterling for us.

This is not about all of us hating Sterling(I am sure some might hate him for whatever reason). It’s about what’s best for City, and whoever thinks Sterling staying is best for City is dreaming or a Sterling fanatic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.