Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Fundamentally I don’t think that providing transport for 30 or so matches at the Etihad in a year. Once the Arena is up and running, the balance may change.

I must admit that if were a Manchester transport planning officer, the Etihad would not be a major priority. The answer will be to complete the development if the Campus to make it worthwhile to spend money on transportation. That would force the hands of the transport planners.

Old Trafford has more going for it with football, cricket, as well as Media City. It’s not that surprising that more investment has gone in to there.

I hope it's top of the list. It's getting worse travelling home now, especially night games. The recent 3 o'clock KOs have been better for me personally getting home but the night games are a real pain in the arse.
I've travelled all over watching City and haven't come across a ground yet which holds 50,000 plus any better to get away from than ours. Yes they could improve it and they will probably have to with the developments. Liverpool last week took an hour to get on a bus.

It might be the best thing since sliced bread, but unless they sort out Transport and in particular the awful Metrolink why would anyone risk being stranded near the Etihad at that time of night.

It wasn't that long ago that the Met closed at 10.30 on a Sunday ffs. I remember me and 20,000 people all leaving the MEN arena after ELO one year and discovering no trams. 24hr city ??
No electric light railway after an electric light orchestra!

Would be great if anything happens on the subject of Metrolink, but let's not forget it was due to be in place for the Commonwealth Games in 2002, but limped in 11 years late after more delays in 2013 and it's barely been fit for purpose since then. No stacked Trams back to the City Centre and the Ashton exit is clogged as the Trams share the roads with the traffic leaving the ground.

If MCC and TfGM were bothered about transport then why have they done nothing for over a decade? Not just for our home games, but for any major event held at the Etihad?

I hope whatever plans are in place for the COOP also apply to moving our 50,000 people, quickly and safely at least 25 times a year.

I think you're being unfair about Metrolink.

I appreciate Metrolink hasn't been without fault, but there are a lot positives about Metrolink.

I'll post some information tomorrow.

I've travelled all over watching City and haven't come across a ground yet which holds 50,000 plus any better to get away from than ours. Yes they could improve it and they will probably have to with the developments. Liverpool last week took an hour to get on a bus.

Exactly what I was thinking earlier. You beat me to the post.

I think you're being unfair about Metrolink.

I appreciate Metrolink hasn't been without fault, but there are a lot positives about Metrolink.

I'll post some information tomorrow.
Have you anything on the improvements Keolis Amey have made since they began operating in 2017? It’s a lawless, uncontrolled, expensive mess in my opinion, but I’ve not used it for years, so I am happy to be corrected! It’s cheaper for me and mrs MB to get an Uber to and from town these days :)

Like you, I've been all over watching them, but when it takes 1 1/2 hours to get to Hyde after a night match & only 2 hours from Leicester for a 3pm, something is wrong.

Have you anything on the improvements Keolis Amey have made since they began operating in 2017? It’s a lawless, uncontrolled, expensive mess in my opinion, but I’ve not used it for years, so I am happy to be corrected! It’s cheaper for me and mrs MB to get an Uber to and from town these days :)

This is how me and my mates do it now, extra pint in Ancoats then Uber to the ground, they do a proper rat run down the back streets and you're there in 5 mins for about £5

Metrolink is pretty OK, off-peak. Good way to get about. But it is not equipped to deal with football crowds. The capacity isn't there. The only way it might work would be if you could persuade a lot of people to arrive 1-3 hours early and depart 1-3 hours late, thus spreading the demand. However, this is not realistic, certainly not for night matches.

I honestly think the solution for City is to have a railway station of its own because that would have the capacity. But it would cost a lot and (at the moment) it would only really be useful for football matches as the day-to-day traffic would be minimal. To justify it, the area probably needs a lot more attractions and ground capacity needs to rise as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.