Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your choice has it should be so you not planning leaving the country anytime soon?
No. Told my other half that when we book a holiday it might just be her and the kids going. If not having the vaccine puts too many obstacles infront of me then have it. As I say I'm not anti-vax, I just (at the moment) don't see any need to have it, but that may change.

Not had the vaccine and don't plan to have it either. I'm not anti-vax, I just don't think it's necessary for me. I have worked since day one of lockdown, usually six days a week, 10 hours a day in a job where I come into close contact with approximately 30 to 50 random strangers a day. I have never worn a mask and have never washed my hands. I've never been ill and my family have all been fine.

It's over.
Assuming that you haven't already caught it but were asymptomatic, I'd say that you've been very lucky not to have caught it so far. Plenty have caught it while taking way more precautions and while interacting with far less people. Carry on as you are and the law of averages says you will surely catch it one day.

It's far from over by the way - around 50,000 cases per day means it's rife.

That one is easy.
you can't trust someone who says they've had Covid - especially amtivaxers. Most would happily give it to their granny without batting an eyelid.
Also, antibody tests aren't sensitive enough to tell you how strong you antibody reaction is or indeed against which variant of Covid you got it. Antibody level tests also cost a small fortune.
Only PCR tests and vaccine jabs give point in time evidence to measure immunity strength against.
For example, catching the initial Covid only reduces your chance of death and hospitalisation to some unknown degree.
Defeating Covid is after all about science - not that antivaxers give a shit about that.
We've known about natural immunity forever, and the data is showing that it is more effective against covid than the vaccine, including being very robust against new variants. The immune system doesn't keep antibodies flowing forever once an infection has been cleared, we have cells that remember the infection so that antibodies can be made quickly if the infection occurs again. This is a much more efficient system and is such an established and well known fact that it's bizarre people are questioning it. I suspect someone is now advising the government who knows what he's talking about, which is why we're busy trying to get as many people as possible infected during the summer months whilst the virus is at it's weakest. This is the route out of this crisis.

I know you've had a lot of responses mate but please consider getting the vaccine. You might not get ill but the vaccine prevents transmission in many or some cases and that transmission might kill someone else. At the very least the less people get vaccinated the more likely it is that we will be locked down again shortly.

You also don't know what the virus will do to you if you did get it, Delta has hit the younger particularly harder than the first strains and so there is no relationship really between mild/moderate illness and age. All we do know is that the most serious cases are more often seen in the elderly, for everyone else it can be a game of Russian roulette.

If we had a vaccine against the cold which could reduce cold transmission by at least 50% and even stop you getting the cold then would you take it? I certainly would because no matter how mild it is I don't want to get the cold.
This is a good point. Me and the other half both had Covid in January and luckily had it quite mild, even though I was 50 at the time and overweight. The other half's son, while not an anti-vaxxer or Covid denier, thought that he'd easily see it off if he ever got it as he's 29 and relatively fit. He was even getting to the stage where he thought he might be immune to it as he's done loads more mixing than we have and couldn't understand why he hadn't caught it. Anyway, in early July he tested positive (presumably for Delta as that's now the dominant variant) and for a few days he was completely and utterly floored - far more floored than we were. On one occasion he said he was that fucked that it took him about 10 minutes to get a paracetamol tablet out of the packet.

Looks lower to me or am I missing something? What does this look like six months after vaccination?

Confidence intervals overlap.

Full report here

These things are *very* hard to accurately estimate outside of a controlled clinical trial - this study suggests similar protection; other studies have shown different results. Often confidence intervals are large.

I'd be very cautious of strong confidence either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.