All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Delighted to see the random number generator produce what I'd call a home run.

The Immigrant Song comes hammering out of the speakers like the sound of Thor on the warpath, ruins all in its path with its monster riff and thunderous bass and departs far too quickly.

Zep carry on with the string enhanced “Friends”, the first of several songs on the album inspired by the rural idyll that the most famous of Welsh cottages sits in. The song dissolves into the frantic riffing of “Celebration Day”, which joyfully rocks like an express train.

"Since I've Been Loving You" is a powerhouse slow blues played live in the studio, with John Paul Jones colouring the number with Hammond organ, whilst playing bass on pedals. The guitar solo is one of Jimmy Page’s finest. Plant wails and screams in trademark fashion.

"Out on the Tiles" is Zep getting heavy and funky. Bonzo’s back beat will have you getting your dancin’ shoes on. Page riffs and then riffs some more.

“Gallows’ Pole” has Page contributing Deliverancesque banjo, which is rather appropriate for this swinging but nasty little tale.

“Tangerine” is a beautiful folk-rock song with a short but classic electric guitar solo.

"That's the Way" is more lustrous folk, almost totally acoustic with a fabulous heartfelt but understated Plant vocal.

The folk keeps on coming with "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", a paean to dog walking, but, surprise, gets a boot up the behind from Bonham’s stomping beat.

“Hats off to (Roy) Harper” sees Zep shake ‘em on down in an acoustic blues stylee.

I ought to deduct somethng for the tribute to a City fan but then it is about a Blue so rounding up is in order:

10/10

Some LZ albums get 11/10 from me...

"These reviews go up to 11..."

1637931605817.png

Led Zeppelin III my first introduction to Zep and still my go to album. For me there is not a bad track but there are personal all time favs of Immigrant Song, Gallows Pole, Tangerine and Since I’ve Been Loving you. Amazing vocals, Page at his finest and Bonham’s drums other worldly… not sure what the other bloke did ;)
On top of that you got an iconic album cover with interactive swirly thing that kept me amused for hours (assuming you’ve got an original). Easily a 10/10 for me

Correct. From Wikipedia:-

After Winwood left the Spencer Davis Group in April 1967, the quartet formed Traffic. Capaldi came up with the name of the group while the four of them were waiting to cross the street in Dorchester. Soon thereafter, they rented a cottage near the rural village of Aston Tirrold, Berkshire to write and rehearse new music

Aston Tirrold is nice. One of the places we went house hunting before buying our current home, which is situated less than 10 miles from there.

Led Zeppelin III my first introduction to Zep and still my go to album. For me there is not a bad track but there are personal all time favs of Immigrant Song, Gallows Pole, Tangerine and Since I’ve Been Loving you. Amazing vocals, Page at his finest and Bonham’s drums other worldly… not sure what the other bloke did ;)
On top of that you got an iconic album cover with interactive swirly thing that kept me amused for hours (assuming you’ve got an original). Easily a 10/10 for me

I've got three versions of III, including the vinyl... :)

So we should!! Better than that Beatles crap ;)

There will be dissenting voices.

I knnow that I am biased, Zep being my favourite band 'n' all but I do also honestly believe that they are the greatest rock band ever. I wouldn't claim that the other bands on my personal top 4 are among even the top 10 greatest; mind you i would be happy to make the case for one of them.

Whether Zep are my favourite act becasue I think they are the greatest, I couldn't tell you.

Like with the recent Genesis review I wasn't around at the time of these releases so have come to these artists without the pleasure and slow exposure to their music, to which I am a bit jealous really. By the time I was listening to them, they were dinosaurs apparently, and that criticism when you're young seeps in a little and you don't fully investigate the bands as you should. Now we have Spotify it's easy and guilt-free, but I only heard the compilation albums back in pre-streaming times so going to their full albums is slightly new to me. "Since I've Been Loving You" is probably my favourite song of that genre and also maybe of Led Zep overall, and I played it so many times on my cassette deck trying to find out where that squeak was coming from. Was it the deck, or the cassette itself? Only later I found out it was Bonham's drum pedal.

Sadly, although the album was heading for a 9/10 those dodgy vocals on Tangerine (I've never understood why people rate this so highly) and the overlong That's the Way and the last 2 drag it down, it's a weak ending to the album, but I'll still score it at 8 / 10 because the first 6 songs are of such a high standard.

Sadly, although the album was heading for a 9/10 those dodgy vocals on Tangerine (I've never understood why people rate this so highly) and the overlong That's the Way and the last 2 drag it down, it's a weak ending to the album, but I'll still score it at 8 / 10 because the first 6 songs are of such a high standard.
Not ready to put my score in yet as I've only had one listen but I feel the opposite - the 2nd half of the album is far better with all the acoustics. But I suppose it depends on whether you prefer heavier or more melodic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.