All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Not ready to put my score in yet as I've only had one listen but I feel the opposite - the 2nd half of the album is far better with all the acoustics. But I suppose it depends on whether you prefer heavier or more melodic.
Good point but strangely I would say I prefer melodic these days than to heavy rock. I'm obviously being swayed by my familiarity to the songs in the top half of the album than the rest.

Immigrant song 6/10
Friends 4/10
Celebration day 3/10
Since I've 4/10
Out on the tiles 5/10
Gallows pole 8/10
Tangerine 6/10
That's the way 7/10
Bron y aur stomp 7/10
Hats off 2/10

Overall 5/10

Some songs basically ruined by Plants singing which is hard to get over tbh. Songs 7 8 9 are the only ones where his wailing doesn't distract either a little or a lot. Some great guitar work going on so kudos but since solo completely missed the tone.

Last edited:
Immigrant song 6/10
Friends 4/10
Celebration day 3/10
Since I've 4/10
Out on the tiles 5/10
Gallows pole 8/10
Tangerine 6/10
That's the way 7/10
Bron y aur stomp 7/10
Hats off 2/10

Overall 5/10

Some songs basically ruined by Plants singing which is hard to get over tbh. Songs 7 8 9 are the only ones where hus wailing doesn't distract either a little or a lot. Some great guitar work going on so kudos but since solo completely missed the tone.

Since I’ve 4/10 … Madness

It's very repetitive.

The singer sounds like they are strangling a cat.

The bass line is driving me mad.

I cannot discern any melody anywhere.

1/10

Sorry, that's my review of 2 Unlimited's greatest hits.

I've never liked Since I Been Loving You which seems to be very popular with fans
Immigrant Song is one of their very best absolutely brilliant
A pretty average album. Thank God they sealed a pact with Satan to deliver a masterpiece with IV

Like with the recent Genesis review I wasn't around at the time of these releases so have come to these artists without the pleasure and slow exposure to their music, to which I am a bit jealous really. By the time I was listening to them, they were dinosaurs apparently, and that criticism when you're young seeps in a little and you don't fully investigate the bands as you should. Now we have Spotify it's easy and guilt-free, but I only heard the compilation albums back in pre-streaming times so going to their full albums is slightly new to me. "Since I've Been Loving You" is probably my favourite song of that genre and also maybe of Led Zep overall, and I played it so many times on my cassette deck trying to find out where that squeak was coming from. Was it the deck, or the cassette itself? Only later I found out it was Bonham's drum pedal.

Sadly, although the album was heading for a 9/10 those dodgy vocals on Tangerine (I've never understood why people rate this so highly) and the overlong That's the Way and the last 2 drag it down, it's a weak ending to the album, but I'll still score it at 8 / 10 because the first 6 songs are of such a high standard.
I nearly mentioned the squeaky pedal!

Since I’ve 4/10 … Madness

Not at all the whining is irksome and the solo is soulless for a supposed blues style rock song. The later guitar work especially the acoustic songs is pretty darn impressive. But on since I’ve its a very good guitarist but poor communicator of a blues style and that means everything. In blues the more notes you play the less each one means and silence and holding is your friend.

The main problem with the album though is Plant which is annoying because on the later songs(last one excepted which is crap) his voice is good, in fact very good.

Put say John Fogerty on vocals and most of those songs become much better. I can’t believe Plant isn’t intentionally doing this and maybe it plays with his fan base or it’s a norm for that genre at the time.

I bought this album not long after I bought Foxtrot. Our kid nicked it off me, and he's still got it today.. It had the spinnable card disc in the cover. Not heard it all for years now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.