All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Very little can ruin a holiday in Hawaii on the first day. This came uncomfortably close.

So they do a whatever-minute long song, the only one with a real hook, the only one that ever made anyone ever hear of the band, so that the keyboardist can do a version of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman”? And so the drummer can do a solo that sounds like a true solo because he’s playing one drum with one hand? And so the guitarist can do that screechy industrial bit that was very cool but should have been done in another song with a different band maybe 20 years later?

I can see why these guys tried to reunite about a dozen times since 1972 because playing this shit today would give them a chance to sop up of of those acid-gobbling fans left stranded by the demise of the Dead at hippie festivals in America. That they were time and time again unsuccessful gives you a sense of how motivated people who grow up in lolling about in the San Diego sunshine tend to be.

The most fun this pointless exercise offered me was the chance to hear the story about how they fucked up appearing at Woodstock (read the Wikipedia entry — it’s hilarious).

Anyhow, forebears of hard rock and metal, yada yada yada. The 60s cliches are lathered thickly all over this — cheesy organ (dig the Manzarek rip from Light My Fire out a year before this LOL), lots of stuff about you, girl, and you, babe, production which sounds like a poor boom guy running around stage sticking the mike in front of whichever instrument is soloing at the moment, a song called Flowers And Beads.

Yet another band whose song title provides the summation of my review: “Termination.” 2/10

Now time for a Mai-tai.
Call me crazy fog and I am but I have watched the documentary over 100 times.

No one to this day has confirmed the story as fact but my guess is knowing John Morris it is.

Cheers Blues! 13 votes for the psychedelic Butterfly boys and despite the criticism they surprisingly score ok

Iron Butterfly / In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
13 votes
Average Score = 4.6

new album review tomorrow.
Updated table on Page 1

Next up.... some Blues Rock and this one topped the UK and US charts

1637845179584.png

Cheers Blues! 13 votes for the psychedelic Butterfly boys and despite the criticism they surprisingly score ok

Iron Butterfly / In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
13 votes
Average Score = 4.6

new album review tomorrow.
Updated table on Page 1

Next up.... some Blues Rock and this one topped the UK and US charts

View attachment 30557
Bron-Yr-Aur

Last edited:
My Traffic comment was based on something I read in Q magazine years ago. Some line about "they went out into the country to record an album". The journalist seemed to make a big thing of it at the time even though it meant nothing to me but for some reason the memory has always stuck with me.

If they didn't have #1 albums then you are probably right that it's Led Zeppelin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.