Ferran Torres | Signs for Barcelona (see main forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value depends on how you look at it.

Many would argue we have already replaced Sterling so getting back essentially what we paid after having great service is a no brainer. If we don't sell it seems likely he runs his contract down. I know we did it with Garcia but I would be shocked if we allow it again.

Torres, the risk you take is "losing" his focus and energy to play for City. He could go on strike, refuse to train and do everything to not play if thats what it takes to get his move to Barca, don't think he will but you never know.
I don't think Pep can be arsed with that and will simply let him go.

I expect City won't do that because it sends a signal to all other players and clubs that if they just ask to leave they will get big discounts on transfers. It's not just about an isolated deal then but about principles, which is bigger picture and long term.

Example: it was when Garcia mouthed off in public that he wasn't ever signing a contract that City stopped negotiating his transfer and held him to his contract.

Torres, by contrast, appears to have privately asked in a respectful way. Leaks all coming from Barcelona side, standard. We'll see if he ever does what Garcia did but if he wants the move it would be a bad idea. It would change the equation for City by making it about principles again.

Those were the rumours, he was available for about 40m. By all accounts he said he wanted to go last year, no deal was done, he then asked again and no club came forward. There is not a chance we put him on the market for 100m like some ridiculous video game trick.

If we had sold him for 40m I think that is about 10m euros below what we paid I think. Not what I think hes worth.

Rumours in the Barcelona bubble maybe. There were also claims by the uk media with some however tenuous links to the club, that we would look for over £65m to be tempted. Which I think was taking a hit but doing it for the sake of the player.

The club are not daft. They put a value on Sane. They maybe would have eventually accepted slightly less, but it was relative enough to the market. The injury scuppered that, and even then they had a value. They put a value on Garcia, and took no less.

They similarly did so with Bernardo. And now seem to be doing with Torres, if the €70m claim is anything to notice.

If Bernardo really was gettable for €40m, someone would have signed him. Even the Italians and Atletico have that kind of Money, never mind Barcelona. If you actually believe the figure of €40m, you might as well go ahead and believe the club were willing to gift him away for free or pay someone to take him.

Last edited:
This is our chance to take a profit on a surplus player.

If City sign a striker, then Ferran will have to compete with Foden, Jesus, Grealish, Sterling & Riyad.

6 players competing for 2 positions.

This whole story - if true - shows how little Barca have learned… fresh from the brink of bankruptcy- and still skint they are still trying to live beyond their means. It’s like shopping at Harrods when you are on Universal Credit. I hope City rinse them letting them pay way over the odds on the basis that they can pay over the long term.

So on the bbc gossip page

Barcelona are keen to sign Manchester City and Spain forward Ferran Torres, 21. (Mundo Deportivo, in Spanish)

Executives from Barcelona spoke to Torres' representatives at Monday's Ballon d'Or ceremony. (Sport, in Spanish)

So is this not called tapping up and quite illegal in football?
I thought they were the two clubs that had special EUFA agreements, to allow them to do this without reprisals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.