Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its unlikley we will get a big Omicron wave which will result in high hospitalisation numbers and deaths. I suspect we already have a very high level of natural imunity across the UK through opening up sooner than most and having a good vaccination rate which is why we havent experienced the rapid rise of delta like across the continent. Plus if the vaccines work against Omincron then the natural imunity will work aswell.
We experienced the rapid rise of delta in July, about 3 or 4 months before most of Europe. Cases have stayed high ever since and are similar to what other countries are rising to now. Fortunately the vaccines are doing their job and it’s not translating into overwhelming hospitalisations. Hopefully the vaccines will still work with omicron but we’ll have to wait and see.

People may recall that I posted on here previously about a young lady who lives on our street who has a background in nursing and had been working as an physiotherapist who went back to nursing at the start of the first lockdown and has worked on Covid wards. She was always a bubbly seemingly happy go lucky vivacious girl who used to go for runs etc in her downtime. My Mrs saw her at weekend - she was out for a walk and told my wife she was drained - my wife said she looked grey and was as she put it "dead eyed" - the on going effects of this will be far reaching
I do worry about the effects on people. From one point of view, as a country, we decided to normalise what was initially a shocking and traumatic state of affairs. My GP has retired but they all do after about 18 months. Getting back to normality is one thing - and there's no doubt in my mind that lockdowns and restrictions are associated with social health and economic costs of their own. But we're awfully loath to stop and take stock - the message comes back a little too clearly - get back to normalilty, life goes on. I'm not sure that is the whole answer. I think the people affected need to catch a break from the rest of us. They need to be heard. They won't be heard against the noise. The human needs are lost against the churning and grinding of the wheels of life 'going' on as noisily as possible. It lacks a bit of reflection and contemplation. Keeping busy is an essential in many ways - but it can be a way to drown out fears and worries that are in fact easily enough dealt with if we take a mature and calm approach. There are people who really just need a moment to be thought about - people who need a slight accomodation from the whole. Millions whose lives won't quite go back to normal. I would consider it very healthy for society to actively take the time to reflect once in a while on the impact of how life has changed irreversibly for many.

I do worry about the effects on people. From one point of view, as a country, we decided to normalise what was initially a shocking and traumatic state of affairs. My GP has retired but they all do after about 18 months. Getting back to normality is one thing - and there's no doubt in my mind that lockdowns and restrictions are associated with social health and economic costs of their own. But we're awfully loath to stop and take stock - the message comes back a little too clearly - get back to normalilty, life goes on. I'm not sure that is the whole answer. I think the people affected need to catch a break from the rest of us. They need to be heard. They won't be heard against the noise. The human needs are lost against the churning and grinding of the wheels of life 'going' on as noisily as possible. It lacks a bit of reflection and contemplation. Keeping busy is an essential in many ways - but it can be a way to drown out fears and worries that are in fact easily enough dealt with if we take a mature and calm approach. There are people who really just need a moment to be thought about - people who need a slight accomodation from the whole. Millions whose lives won't quite go back to normal. I would consider it very healthy for society to actively take the time to reflect once in a while on the impact of how life has changed irreversibly for many.

Got my booster today from a nurse who retired 3 years ago and has come back - great effort but she said she ain't in for the long haul i,e, 2nd booster. Still Nick Ferrari and Julia Heartless -Bastard can claim those people haven't got the stomach for the fight - must be hell doing 3hrs a day on the radio

Its partly to do with the cold temperatures needed to store Pfizer. I had to travel miles to get to my booster last month - a one hour bus trip and 20 minute walk home after - for that reason. Whereas I had my AZ jab at the health centre a 5 minute walk away - that was expensively refitted during the pandemic but NOT to the point of having a cold enough freezer to do the jabs other than ones such as AZ that do not need a deep freeze.
That’s not right. You can store Pfizer for 31 days at between 2-8 degrees, so you can get it anywhere that does vaccinations. GP and pharmacists will keep it in fridge and they rarely have more than a weeks stock and get up to 2 deliveries a week. Some hospitals and Mass Vaccination Centres can store it frozen, for up to 9 months, but that doesn’t happen either, for obvious reasons.

People may recall that I posted on here previously about a young lady who lives on our street who has a background in nursing and had been working as an physiotherapist who went back to nursing at the start of the first lockdown and has worked on Covid wards. She was always a bubbly seemingly happy go lucky vivacious girl who used to go for runs etc in her downtime. My Mrs saw her at weekend - she was out for a walk and told my wife she was drained - my wife said she looked grey and was as she put it "dead eyed" - the on going effects of this will be far reaching
Is her name Monica Lewinsky

She was the same

We experienced the rapid rise of delta in July, about 3 or 4 months before most of Europe. Cases have stayed high ever since and are similar to what other countries are rising to now. Fortunately the vaccines are doing their job and it’s not translating into overwhelming hospitalisations. Hopefully the vaccines will still work with omicron but we’ll have to wait and see.
True but the experts also told us that cases would surge again in October with Delta with between 2000 to 5000 hospital admissions a day in their best case scenario and they didnt. They do get their predictions massively wrong with covid on a regular basis.

I see a new antibody treatment approved in the UK.. Xevudy reduces the risk of hospitalisation and death by 79% in high risk adults with symptomatic covid 19 infection.

That’s not right. You can store Pfizer for 31 days at between 2-8 degrees, so you can get it anywhere that does vaccinations. GP and pharmacists will keep it in fridge and they rarely have more than a weeks stock and get up to 2 deliveries a week. Some hospitals and Mass Vaccination Centres can store it frozen, for up to 9 months, but that doesn’t happen either, for obvious reasons.

Yep. They changed the vaccine to allow for better storage.

for reference

Yep. They changed the vaccine to allow for better storage

AIUI it's not that the vaccine was changed, just that they launched it with a limited set of stability data so as not to delay. Once the full stability data read out, shelf life is adjusted accordingly. Could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.