Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a misunderstanding of the job that modellers have, modellers aren't there to express models that make the media or us feel warm inside. If a variant is milder then as the guy has said there's nothing whatsoever to see here and nothing to do so what's the point in modelling it?

They will model worst case scenarios because that informs the government on what action is needed, they need to know this because how can you plan otherwise? If Omicron turns out to be the same as Delta then that shows that they need X doctors, X capacity or else we can't cope and so we need X restrictions to help it. They then model the impact of those restrictions which gives you something resembling a plan.

However, what is the action needed if Omicron turned out to not cause any problems at all, the answer is no actions at all so what's the point in modelling it? It isn't like we're arguing to shrink health capacity if the severity of Omicron turned out to be milder, if that was the case then optimistic models would be very useful.

It needs to be remembered that the government doesn't just take a model and use that to decide if we go into lockdown or not. If that was true then at 90,000 cases per day (the highest ever) we'd be in total lockdown right now but we aren't.

So wrong. The point of modelling is to predict the likely truth. Sure you can do worst case best stuff but it's the likely outcome is what you are interested in. The MPs want to know the likely scenario as they don't want to blow £30+ billion on a lockdown that isn't needed. It also makes a mockery of all the press the SAGE models get.

I think they give particularly gloomy predictions because if it goes tits up, they don’t want to be blamed. When I was in business my mantra was under promise, over deliver.

Just tested positive. Gutted. Xmas cancelled.

I have had this thing for 2 weeks now and am just getting out of the woods, couldn't get my booster because I have been ill with it. Really hoping you're one of those without full blown symptoms mate, be safe and keep well pal.

My Mum hasn't had her booster. She fell between the cracks. There will be a lot like her. SHe is in a care home. What happens when all her carers (and visitors) get ill. Multiply this thousands of times and this is where we will have problems. Any respiratory illness is serious for some.
I spoke to someone this morning whose aged mother is in the same situation. There just aren’t the staff to get the boosters into care homes, yet young people who are in considerably less danger are queuing for hours because of Government messaging.

Countries ignored Israel’s warning and let their guard down.

I think there is a misunderstanding of the job that modellers have, modellers aren't there to express models that make the media or us feel warm inside. If a variant is milder then as the guy has said there's nothing whatsoever to see here and nothing to do so what's the point in modelling it?

They will model worst case scenarios because that informs the government on what action is needed, they need to know this because how can you plan otherwise? If Omicron turns out to be the same as Delta then that shows that they need X doctors, X capacity or else we can't cope and so we need X restrictions to help it. They then model the impact of those restrictions which gives you something resembling a plan.

However, what is the action needed if Omicron turned out to not cause any problems at all, the answer is no actions at all so what's the point in modelling it? It isn't like we're arguing to shrink health capacity if the severity of Omicron turned out to be milder, if that was the case then optimistic models would be very useful.

It needs to be remembered that the government doesn't just take a model and use that to decide if we go into lockdown or not. If that was true then at 90,000 cases per day (the highest ever) we'd be in total lockdown right now but we aren't.

Yep. Zero point in modelling a scenario where everyone is skipping around and plaiting daisy chains into each others hair. You model varying worst case scenarios, see how reality matches against them and keep one step ahead with appropriate measures to stem or head off the worst case materialising.

I get that everyone is twitchy, but selling the public fantasy scenarios to make everyone feel better isn’t going to help in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.