Vegetarians - Meat replacements

Not sure if its mentioned on Game Changers but arguably the greatest distance runner (50 miles plus) of all time (Scott Jurek) has been promoting veganism from the 80s onwards. I read his book Eat and Run and found it incredibly inspiring. Its a very popular way if life in the Running community and there is clearly a reason for that.
Aguero went vegan in the season and I think Messi does too. Jermain Defoe went vegan and credits it with keeping him playing for longer. David Haye has been vegan for a while and there's others as well who have been at the top of their game too like Lewis Hamilton, Venus Williams Novak Djokovic and plenty (or should that be planty) of others. I think it shows that if you have a balanced diet, it's perfectly possible to be at your best physically.

Mind, Chris Smalling also follows a vegan diet and it's done nothing for his footballing ability :)

Shopping today and looking at all the new plant based ranges , it occurred to me why do vegetarians/ vegans decide against eating meat but then choose and design food products that are designed to look and taste like the type of food they are looking to avoid? If they want a plant / vegetable based diet why not eat plants and vegetables that look like what they are rather than adding in preservatives and additives to make them look like something else?
Been wondering exactly the same for a while now.

Shopping today and looking at all the new plant based ranges , it occurred to me why do vegetarians/ vegans decide against eating meat but then choose and design food products that are designed to look and taste like the type of food they are looking to avoid? If they want a plant / vegetable based diet why not eat plants and vegetables that look like what they are rather than adding in preservatives and additives to make them look like something else?
Because of animal cruelty , we also dont choose the shape the food comes in , it doesnt taste like meat either

So you think a sausage looks and tastes like a sausage when the pig is slaughtered?

Why do carnivores get so wound up by a veggie sausage looking like a pork sausage?

Try the question this way. Why do meat eaters continue to endorse the slaughter of millions of animals rather than choose to eat plant based alternatives that in a great number of options (not all admittedly) taste very good and are far more healthier to consume?
Because we are omnivores and steaks, sausages and most other cuts of meat taste lovely.

Nobody is chasing down lions and telling them to eat plants :P

edit just to say I do like some vegetarian sausage and Quorn chicken pieces.

Last edited:

A cracking article about meat substitutes and how they are basically junk food in fancy packaging
Its an interesting read and i have wondered if a lot of fake meat products are as healthy and beneficial as they claim to be?

I enjoy the taste of meat but i have been gradually cutting it out of my diet a few months now and will probably take the plunge to go meat free eventually. I don't want to eat veggie beefsteak steaks mimics and the like.

I used to eat Quorn now and again and i liked the taste but I haven't really had much for several years. Is Quorn another processed product that isn't made out to be or is it a healthy food?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.