United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something seriously odd going on with that club and the British media. I have never known, in my entire life, a football club that got as much publicity as the rags. They get a new manager and it's on every fucking news channel in the country. It's as if no club in the history of world football has ever replaced their manager. You cannot move without seeing or reading interviews with ex-players pontificating on what is happening at the swamp, and what is likely to happen in the future at the swamp. Camelgob, for example, he played for both West Ham and Leeds and yet you wouldn't know it by the way the media consistently referring to him as a 'true united legend' (deliberate use of lower case).
Sky are most definitely the worst offenders for their rag adulation, so many of their ex-players are employed by Sky you'd think the whole organisation had become a retirement home for former raggies.
It's purely because people are clicking on the stories - and clicks help sell online advertising. If they weren't, they'd be covering the club with the second-most clicks even more. It's frightening now how much analytics determine what gets covered.

If something's popular because people click on it, more stuff is created to get those same people to click on that too - and it becomes this exponential wave of manufactured, tail-wagging-the-dog knackers. Presumably, in terms of the Scum, it will change over (a longish) time if their death spiral continues and all their worldwide plastics start watching someone else.

That's why it's taking so long for us to have more coverage. It probably will only happen when the current generation of kid supporters attracted by our sustained brilliance and success get old enough to influence digital news consumption stats. Which all sounds pretty clinical and shit really - but that's (to an extent) modern news.

Ajax hadn’t won the league in 5 years when ten Hag took over and no Dutch side had been to a European in nearly 20 years when he took his Ajax to the Europa in 2017 and then the CL semi final was the first for a dtch side in 23 years when he got them there.

So he might have managed the biggest club in Holland but he didn’t take over the best club by any stretch and he took them on to do things no one has managed in 20 years against much better and richer European sides. I think we can pretty safely say he is a very good manager.

I’m just not sure that really matters at United.
It looks to me from what I’ve read that he’s learnt quite a bit from Pep and one can already see the impact that another Pep student is making with Arteta. So I’d agree he’s a good manager and will certainly improve them, from what is a pretty low base.

Ajax hadn’t won the league in 5 years when ten Hag took over and no Dutch side had been to a European in nearly 20 years when he took his Ajax to the Europa in 2017 and then the CL semi final was the first for a dtch side in 23 years when he got them there.

So he might have managed the biggest club in Holland but he didn’t take over the best club by any stretch and he took them on to do things no one has managed in 20 years against much better and richer European sides. I think we can pretty safely say he is a very good manager.

I’m just not sure that really matters at United.

He wasn't even appointed when Ajax reached the Europa League Final.

That was Peter Bosz.

He had rather fortunate timing in inheriting some outstanding homegrown players and Philip Cocu leaving PSV.

But then you could say the same about lots of other title winning managers. E.g. Pellegrini at City (No Ferguson) or Mancini at Inter (Juventus being found guilty of match fixing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.