The Title Race - 2021/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedant alert - they didn't actually beat us that day: Manchester City v Aston Villa 1980/81

Withe did have a stormer and Villa outplayed us all afternoon, but two late goals (a Dennis Tueart penalty and what I think was Ray Ranson's only goal for the club) rescued us. We'd lost 4-0 at home to Sunderland the previous midweek and the crowd had started to turn against the team somewhat until we were awarded that (rather soft) penalty.

FWIW, they last beat us in the league at our place at the end of Stuart Pearce's final season, winning 2-0 as we continued our run of no goals at home since New Year's Day. They did also manage a League Cup win, 4-2 after extra time in Mancini's period at the helm when we fielded a much-changed side.
That's what I remember,Peter Withe having a fantastic game leading the Villa attack.
Don't forget that they were an unknown quantity at that stage of the season,and they genuinely surprised me with how good they were.
The usual suspects of Liverpool, United and Forest (at that time) and maybe Ipswich Town were all expected to be the main contenders to win the First Division, so Villa were dark horses to win it.
(A bit like Leicester City did 6 years ago).

Yep that's why any talk of the beating Southampton by 9 goals is pie in the sky. They're dead on their feet and grinding out results now.
They wouldn’t need to win 9-0. For goal difference to become an issue, we would have to lose to West Ham (or Villa) first. If we lost say 1-0 on Sunday that would knock the GD down to 6. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the dippers might then bang in 4 or 5 at Southampton, which would make things mighty tight on the final day. Even though it’s a long shot, I was irritated at the gift wrapped chances we spunked in the last 10 minutes last night. We could have put the possibility of GD playing a role, completely to bed

Don't want it to go down to goal difference, exactly 10 years on from Aguerooooo.
That thought is giving me sleepless nights.

one interesting piece for me is how goals have dried up for the scouser and we're free flowing. 13 goal advantage to City in the last 4 games.

View attachment 43032
Hang on just a minute there mate errr they’ve got 5 world class strikers and they’re far more clinical in front of goal than we are and teams have worked out how to play us and we can’t break down packed defences and we should’ve bought a striker in January ………

Goals for :

City 94
Lpool 89

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.