Today's shooting in America thread

You guys are like moths to a flame!

It is so precious to watch a small handful of supposedly intelligent educated men twist yourselves in knots trying to change a foundational settled law of a country you don’t live in, or refuse to live in!

I’m not sure which part of “nobody gives a fuck about your tortured arguments” (even the ones I might agree with!) you guys don’t understand, but your exercise of perceived moral superiority is an excellent sideshow to the main event!

Keep going! I’m sure it’ll make a big difference to everyone in America.
You give a fuck, you can’t help yourself in replying.

You guys are like moths to a flame!

It is so precious to watch a small handful of supposedly intelligent educated men twist yourselves in knots trying to change a foundational settled law of a country you don’t live in, or refuse to live in!

I’m not sure which part of “nobody gives a fuck about your tortured arguments” (even the ones I might agree with!) you guys don’t understand, but your exercise of perceived moral superiority is an excellent sideshow to the main event!

Keep going! I’m sure it’ll make a big difference to everyone in America.

Mate we're not trying to change anything, we're just pointing out how fucking stupid it is, laughing at it's supporters (I'm not a gun nut I just have a gun I can concealed carry everywhere I go) and lamenting its poor victims.

That’s the weakest argument you have ever made on this forum mate. 230 years ago, it took roughly 46 seconds for a trained minuteman to reload his rifle. The idea of an AR15 wasn’t remotely possible.

You accept that a US citizen can’t own a fully functioning tank or an RPG so you accept there’s a limit to the 2A.
I merely follow the law, as I assume do most people on here.

I don’t get to make up my own versions of interpretations, because there is a system for that. It involves lawyers and judges elected to their positions.

Color me crazy, but I obey even the laws I disagree with or else I’d have to face the severely negative consequences.

One of the most basic fundamentals of the Constitution is that anything that is not specifically addressed has to be legislated at the Federal level or left to the States (States Rights) to determine.

Since 2A has never been overturned by Federal law, it has been challenged through the Courts. As such, when it reaches them, SCOTUS decisions are absorbed into the laws of the country…until they change their views.

Accordingly, even though Bluemooners, some of whom have their own versions of what US law should be, should say, not to mention should have simply expired, THINK they understand the law and what it means, they clearly do not.

Sadly, America doesn’t care.

That’s not me dissing you, but it is me explaining reality to you!

You can climb on your moral high horse and TELL America (or in this case the ONLY Brit American trying to explain your arrogance to you) how it should act, but I hope you realize how ridiculous it is?!

You don’t have a vote, the issue doesn’t affect you, but you feel like your own personal experience in your own country is so much better that America must be stupid to not be like (fill in the country if your choice).

Much good may that do you.

I used the FACT (as statistically detailed in the research I presented) that 54% of gun deaths are suicides, which is why I mentioned the dearth of mental illness resources available to many troubled individuals.
This is an interesting one, because it often comes up in relation to bridges. "What's the point of putting up anti-suicide measures at the Golden Gate Bridge? Someone who wants to kill themselves will just choose another method." But psychologists would typically disagree. People who are suicidal typically have an idea in their mind of how they're going to do it, and when they are thwarted, they don't typically then go on to use another method.

The other thing that could help in relation to mass shootings, that will never happen in America because of one of the other amendments, would be to anonymise and localize any story around mass shooting. We shouldn't know his name. We shouldn't see his picture. We certainly shouldn't be able to read his manifesto. Again, psychologists will tell you that one of the main motivating factors of mass shooting is that idea of showing the world. And it wouldn't necessarily be beyond the realms of possibility to ban such reporting, in the same way that they do for child abuse cases at times, but there's too much money in this round-the-clock sensationalized media coverage for it to ever happen.

Mate we're not trying to change anything, we're just pointing out how fucking stupid it is, laughing at it's supporters (I'm not a gun nut I just have a gun I can concealed carry everywhere I go) and lamenting its poor victims.
The view from on high appears slightly different from the ground down here.

I’m sure there are many, many things people find “stupid” in many countries, but we don’t seem to get so heated about those.

I don’t make the rules.
I don’t agree with some of the rules.
I live by the rules.
I explain the rules when others confuse them with their warped view of reality.

Last edited:
This is an interesting one, because it often comes up in relation to bridges. "What's the point of putting up anti-suicide measures at the Golden Gate Bridge? Someone who wants to kill themselves will just choose another method." But psychologists would typically disagree. People who are suicidal typically have an idea in their mind of how they're going to do it, and when they are thwarted, they don't typically then go on to use another method.

The other thing that could help in relation to mass shootings, that will never happen in America because of one of the other amendments, would be to anonymise and localize any story around mass shooting. We shouldn't know his name. We shouldn't see his picture. We certainly shouldn't be able to read his manifesto. Again, psychologists will tell you that one of the main motivating factors of mass shooting is that idea of showing the world. And it wouldn't necessarily be beyond the realms of possibility to ban such reporting, in the same way that they do for child abuse cases at times, but there's too much money in this round-the-clock sensationalized media coverage for it to ever happen.
Then, why wasn’t it made the law of the land before the “round-the-clock sensationalized media coverage”?

Who gets to decide?

Sadly, most people forget this country was created, and the Constitution written, BECAUSE the earliest Americans were vehemently opposed to tyranny and governmental overreach.

The guns in America were memorialized because they want FREE CITIZENS to be able to fight any and all tyranny, be it the British government OR even the fledgling US Federal govt they had just created.

Remember, American population and power was still highly concentrated at the time, which is also why the Electoral College was created. Virginia was, in newly created American terms, almost as threatening to the fledgling democracy as Britain had been.

FWIW I agree with most of what you posted on page 248.

. I am strongly in favor of strong gun control laws
. Outside of this Forum there are only a small handful of people who know I am even a gun owner, let alone have multiple firearms.
. I strongly advocate safe ownership, including separating guns from ammo and locking up both, etc…
. I’m not a gun nut and know little about guns, other than the ones I own, which are all very similar.
. I practice how to use them, so that I have mastery of the firearms and exercise responsible ownership.
. I am not an advocate of 2A, but I am enough of a realist to understand it’s not changing anytime soon. For me, that’s the starting reality for any discussion of American gun culture.
. I think it’s sadly amusing to read most people’s uneducated (as in unrealistic) view of American gun culture and 2A, whilst expected to kowtow to their moral superiority.
What I don't understand is the general consensus from the majority of gun owners their acceptance that 2A (and its numerous legal interpretations) is here to stay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.