It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Seko Fofana could be an interesting option.

Has evolved into one of the best midfielders in France. Dynamic box to box player, which is allegedly the type we’re looking for this summer. Most significant is that he’s ex-City having spent some time in our academy. I’m sure we’ll know a lot about him via the team at Troyes. I expect not too expensive either coming from Lens.

One of those deals that could make sense for a number of reasons - but one I fully expect not to happen!

2-3 months ago Pep said that he would like to have a smaller squad with 16-17 players, where most of them are universals and can play different positions and in addition to that 6-7 academy / talented players, who can be trusted and integrated in the system..

In overall I think this is the "structure" we are heading to and I think it's great, because that's what Barcelona achieved in 2005-2015, when they had 15-16-17 world-class players and also number of academy players, who were constantly playing, getting time, maturing faster and thus - they completed this whole circle from academy level to the first-team.. Of course now this system at Barcelona is ruined and they are a total disaster, but back then - with the help of Txiki and Ferran and Pep, I think they managed to do it and it worked well..

So, I think the next years of Pep will be dedicated to this process, so that we could build a similar successful structure which ensures that all the valuable academy players are introduced into the first-team, they get their games, mature faster and in the end club saves a lot of money in the transfers.. Imagine having not just one, but 3-4 "Phil Foden's" in the first team and I think Palmer, Macatee, that Scottish guy from U18 and other ones also, have a chance to achieve this..

So, that's why reducing the squad makes sense and can be true..

LIke... Torres-Sterling-Jesus out Haaland-Xuilo in means -1 player..

Fern / Gundo out FDJ in means -1 player also

and etc. and etc.. Let's see, so, basically it's quality versus quantity, we are talking about and what Pep wants, so that there was enough space and time for the young academy players..

Wasn't it 18 outfield players he said he wanted with back ups from the academy, and he admitted this is on the small side as it is.

16 is wayyyyyyy to light and doesn't sound right at all.

5 subs in all competitions now as well.

Well he could've given some of our talented young central defenders a few more minutes over the course of the season, I suppose. It's all well and good having a small senior squad supplemented by academy players, but only if you actually trust the academy players enough to play them

Ah that hoary old chesnut - "if he played the kids more" !

None of the four teams currently in the top four (and very likely to be there after Sunday's games) give many minutes to young inexperienced players.

The reason for that I woud suggest is that there is too much at stake for such teams.

Only Spurs have given more minutes to players currently aged 21 or under in the league this season. They clocked up 2,402 minutes, and most of those were for Skip and Sessegnon.

City admittedly gave most of the 2,202 minutes to Foden but still managed to play the most young players. Coles minutes would surely have been greater but for injury.

Chelsea only used one 21 year old and that was Hudson-Oboi.

Liverpool's total was 1,128 minutes and over half that went to Curtis Jones.

City could give Academy players more time in the League cup but Pep wants to win everything so time will continue to be limited for yound players unless they expceptional.

Younger players who need lots of game time to develop will continue to go on loan.

Last edited:
Seko Fofana could be an interesting option.

Has evolved into one of the best midfielders in France. Dynamic box to box player, which is allegedly the type we’re looking for this summer. Most significant is that he’s ex-City having spent some time in our academy. I’m sure we’ll know a lot about him via the team at Troyes. I expect not too expensive either coming from Lens.

One of those deals that could make sense for a number of reasons - but one I fully expect not to happen!
Always thought he looked really good in our youth set up and had hopes he'd be (without the agent & cake) a Yaya mk II.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.