Aston Villa (H) - Sun 22nd May, 16:00 (BST) | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa could end up in hot water if they play a weakened team. Just imagine if the 3 points Burnley get are what sends Leeds down, how much money that would cost Leeds. Not only is it bringing the competition into disrepute they could face legal action as well. Like how Derby got threatened with legal action or the whole Tevez West Ham thing.

Besides isn't it in Gerrard's best interest to beat Burnley and finish the season higher up the table?
Well why have a 25 man squad then???. It's up to the manager who he picks. If he did put a second string out there will be no re percussions as he hasn't done anything "wrong". He has selected 11 players to play out of his named 25 available.

And I stand by what I said in the Match day thread last night. Villa WILL play a weak side against Burnley. It's Gerrard we are talking about here. Liverpool through and through.

Gerrard's press conferance was quite telling. Looks like Watkins/Ings, Mcginn, Mings, Martinez and Digne will be rested tomorrow.

Another shit show, just like Soton with their team selection. Clear as day they were in in talks with Klopp beforehand. No way were either team resting all those players if they knew the other team were full strength.
Surely he has to play his strongest side against Burnley and then see how the land lies for our game. Integrity of the league at stake. Also given that if results go their way they could finish 11th rather than 14th that could be worth a few million to the club which may go directly to a transfer kitty. Can't imagine Leeds and Neverton will be happy if he 'rests' those six players you mentioned. If you are those teams you are thinking that Burnley will lose to Villa and Newcastle, what you don't want them to do is pick up anything at Villa.
EDIT: Checked and Watkins has started 31 PL games, McGinn 33, Mings 33, Martinez 35, Digne 14 but he was signed in January and Ings 22. So apart from Ings if the others are fit they play so to suddenly start resting them would, IMO, be somewhat odd and the media should be asking WTF is going on.

Last edited:
If he is indeed resting the mentioned players then will the other 5/6 players be rested against us
For me he has to rest his full starting 11 to have a chance against us
Anyone who feels a bit leggy going into Sunday will be found out straight away against us

I didn’t hear of any players being rested by Gerrard, he said it might not be the same team in both which isn’t surprising. I’m sure he said he thinks Martinez will play.

Iam sorry but do we really give a fuck who slippy g puts out tomorrow night or Sunday.....we will beat them if he goes full strength anyway......thats why we are top of the league and will be top at 17-50 (ish) and be celebrating our 4th title in 5 seasons and pissing on Mr eds quad.....

Gerrard said “Obviously, they’re going to be two different challenges, we know that, one fighting at the top-end of the league and one at the bottom. We need to prepare for both in the best way that we can.

“They’re coming within a short space of time so all of my players need to be ready because I’ll be very surprised if the team will be the same for both games.”

Why is he even talking about putting different teams out? he wouldn't usually do that one game after another. You can bet your house on which game he'll save the best players for.
Hasn’t Pep said much the same when we’ve had games close to each other? Especially the bit about players needing to be ready

Surely he has to play his strongest side against Burnley and then see how the land lies for our game. Integrity of the league at stake. Also given that if results go their way they could finish 11th rather than 14th that could be worth a few million to the club which may go directly to a transfer kitty. Can't imagine Leeds and Neverton will be happy if he 'rests' those six players you mentioned. If you are those teams you are thinking that Burnley will lose to Villa and Newcastle, what you don't want them to do is pick up anything at Villa.
EDIT: Checked and Watkins has started 31 PL games, McGinn 33, Mings 33, Martinez 35, Digne 14 but he was signed in January and Ings 22. So apart from Ings if the others are fit they play so to suddenly start resting them would, IMO, be somewhat odd and the media should be asking WTF is going on.
But won’t

We should be wiping the floor with a full strength villa side no matter the circumstances.

Funny things happen in football and it could be a tough afternoon and things might not go our way, but it won't be because Gerrard rested his side mid week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.