Petrol prices

Alan Harper's Tash

My local garage has gone up 13p to 172.9 in under 10 days.

At that rate, we’ll be at £2 in a month.

How high are they going to go?

What has made them rise 13p in these 10 days?

Diesel been £1.82 here - thank goodness we aren't heaping extra tax on energy suppliers like Shell and BP who run the filling stations here or they wouldn't be able to invest although as one has a Londis supermarket in it and another a SPAR both added in the last 12 months not sure what further investment there could be...... interestingly the purpose built Co-op shop/filling station on the edge of town and just off the bypass is selling diesel at £1.77.9

Incredible, isn't it?

As clear as day, I can remember me da pulling into a petrol station forecourt and asking the attendant for £1 worth of 4-star.

No chance they will calm down anytime soon I’m afraid. Oil is not at historical highs but refining constraints have pushed the differentials out to record levels. As I said elsewhere western government policy has been to not pay for unused refining capacity to give energy security- so refining companies have been reducing capacity as they can’t really compete against cheap refining costs elsewhere in the world. Now we’ve lost Russian refining capacity we’re a bit…what’s the word…ah yes, fucked.

The current refined gate prices means some mothballed capacity makes sense to restart (I think that’s a startup time in days rather than weeks for the infrastructure but staffing is harder to understand, so maybe a couple of months in total) which will bring some extra capacity online and the governments new downstream oil resilience bill will give them powers to force refining companies to bring on stream more capacity where possible. Ideally to ensure refining companies don’t delay wondering if these prices make it viable for the next couple of years of operations the government should underwrite any unused capacity to make it a free swing.

It’s gone up to nearly 21p a litre where I live. Cost £15 to fill up yesterday. Can’t say I envy U.K. prices.

£1.71.7 per litre at costco for Diesel. You do need the annual membership though. Went in and got some supplies so saved over £20 vs where I normally shop.

Er indoors is outdoors in California, she saw regular gas in Sacramento for $6.05….crazy price!
About $4.50 gallon locally

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.