#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many mixed opinions on him from fans.. the most marmite player on the planet.. but for me.. he sums up what Pep wants in an attacking player.. he attacks the space.. time and time.. and time again. And eventually makes things happen. He is unique.

I love him. One of my favourite City players ever.
I think you’re right with the Marmite comment, but I don’t think Pep has done him any favours if I am being honest. Grealish said something along the lines of “Pep demands that I don’t lose the ball”. That is a big and even slightly strange ask of a winger, if you are also expecting them to create/score goals at the same time.

I have been critical of Grealish, Mahrez and Sterling, but the one I think who suffers most in this set up is Sterling, because he is the least technically capable of the three on the ball. I am not a huge fan of wingers consistently cutting inside and passing back to retain possession, but if I was picking two wingers to perform that role, Grealish and Mahrez would be at the top of my list…Sterling wouldn’t. Similarly if I was looking for a 17/18 City style winger, Sterling pisses all over the other two.

I am hoping that with the addition of Haaland, Pep frees up our play a little more to allow the wide men to shine and if he does that, I think Sterling comes back into his own and all of sudden becomes one of our main men again. I think a Foden, Haaland and Sterling front 3 has the potential to be absolutely frightening, but not if they are instructed to continually come back inside and pass backwards. If nothing else Haaland will need service, I don’t want to see him stood up front with his finger up his arse, wondering why nobody ever puts the ball in for him.

Last edited:
He is still and will always be unique in our team. If he is playing well, he automatically starts. Even if he is low on confidence he gets a lot of gametime as we don't have good alternatives. We got so much creativity but not enough natural runners into space. When he is on the pitch we simply get more chances to score.

If Sterling can get his head right then with Haaland he should in theory get even more space, and also he will finally have someone natural to pass the ball to like with Aguero when he opens up the defense with his run into space.

I think you’re right with the Marmite comment, but I don’t think Pep has done him any favours if I am being honest. Grealish said something along the lines of “Pep demands that I don’t lose the ball”. That is a big and even slightly strange ask of a winger, if you are also expecting them to create/score goals at the same time.

I have been critical of Grealish, Mahrez and Sterling, but the one I think who suffers most in this set up is Sterling, because he is the least technically capable of the three on the ball. I am not a huge fan of wingers consistently cutting inside and passing back to retain possession, but if I was picking two wingers to perform that role, Grealish and Mahrez would be at the top of my list…Sterling wouldn’t. Similarly if I was looking for a 17/18 City style winger, Sterling pisses all over the other two.

I am hoping that with the addition of Haaland, Pep frees up our play a little more to allow the wide men to shine and if he does that, I think Sterling comes back into his own and all of sudden becomes one of our main men again. I think a Foden, Haaland and Sterling front 3 has the potentially to be absolutely frightening, but not if they are instructed to continually come back inside and pass backwards. If nothing else Haaland will need service, I don’t want to see him stood up front with his finger up his arse, wondering why nobody ever puts the ball in for him.

Sterling would excel on the right with Haaland up top. His movement in behind would stretch defenders and leave more space for Haaland to profit.

Movement is one thing that has been lacking at times this season. Lots of players stood wanting ball to feet is easy to defend.

The game changed on Sunday when we gave them more to think about with movement in behind. Gabby was doing it all game but suddenly they had Gundo and Sterling doing it too and even Rodri who, at 2-2 ran in behind took the ball on his chest and tried to volley it in.

If you are a CB and have Haaland to defend you'll be shitting it enough without having Sterling looking for the ball in behind. I also believe Grealish will be a lot better with players moving ahead of him so he can play into them or use them as a decoy.

It doesn't have to be every game but subtle tweaks could see us go up another level again. And if we lose the ball it is just about winning it back quickly still.

I want him to sign a new contract he is a player who gives this club something totally different to any other player yeah is frustrating inside the box but outside the box he is world class and his major plus is he doesn’t let anything bother him he keeps going keeps trying.

Now if Madrid comes in and Sterling want to go there fair enough we should let him go, also what coming out of the Sterling camp about the contract situation and they saying he wants to now concentrate on England next 3 weeks gives me the vices I’ve had for the last 6 months that he will run down his contract then see the options he has clubs wise.

I want him to sign a new contract he is a player who gives this club something totally different to any other player yeah is frustrating inside the box but outside the box he is world class and his major plus is he doesn’t let anything bother him he keeps going keeps trying.

Now if Madrid comes in and Sterling want to go there fair enough we should let him go, also what coming out of the Sterling camp about the contract situation and they saying he wants to now concentrate on England next 3 weeks gives me the vices I’ve had for the last 6 months that he will run down his contract then see the options he has clubs wise.

I can see how it suits him financially to run his contract down.
But it's a world cup year. City aren't going to let a 27 year old top player leave for nothing.
It's sign a contract extension or you're not playing.

I can see how it suits him financially to run his contract down.
But it's a world cup year. City aren't going to let a 27 year old top player leave for nothing.
It's sign a contract extension or you're not playing.

I think with it being a winter World Cup that wouldn’t bother him and it’s in Sterling hands what will happen

I am hoping that with the addition of Haaland, Pep frees up our play a little more to allow the wide men to shine and if he does that, I think Sterling comes back into his own and all of sudden becomes one of our main men again. I think a Foden, Haaland and Sterling front 3 has the potential to be absolutely frightening, but not if they are instructed to continually come back inside and pass backwards. If nothing else Haaland will need service, I don’t want to see him stood up front with his finger up his arse, wondering why nobody ever puts the ball in for him.

This is my hope too. I want Haaland and Alvarez arriving to signify a return to the football of 2017-2019 when the focus was on direct wing play and low balls across the face of goal. Not only the new strikers but also Gundogan and Sterling will thrive off of that kind of service.

Feels like everything we've achieved in the last two seasons has been in spite of playing strikerless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.