The Alan Ball era

That commentary with Horton was indeed for their local TV.

“It’s not over. I said that” literally 3 minute after he said “That’s Gillingham in division one”
I remember when I was interviewing Brian Horton for the Northenden OSC branch some years ago and I pulled him up on that jokingly saying, "that was a bit of a contradiction wasn't it?" and he denied saying that. I remember thinking, "that's a bit bizzare."

Alan Ball (god bless is his soul) reminds me of my only hated Oasis song. Wonderwall.

From memory, he has managed to relegate every team he has ever managed barre Southampton. Pointless fact for everyone there.

I wasn't privileged enough to ever see him play but his mastermind tactical skills (Give the ball to Kinkladze) was something to behold.

Fuck me reading through this thread has put my therapy back a few decades.

My memories of Clough in a city shirt are thankfully limited to the game when someone ran on the pitch and literally told him how shit he was and then proceeded to try and rip the shirt off him. Happy days indeed!

To anyone who wasn’t around in those days … all I can say is that it was character building.
Born 84, lived in Salford supporting city and England cricket in the 90s, I can take pretty much anything thrown at me. Fucking horrible.

A fantastic player, terrible manager. He wasn't wanted by the fan's, I remember thinking "Alan fucking Ball???" when he was appointed. That team, although not great by any means, had enough talent to stay up. As others have said our terrible start to the season left us a mountain to climb. Him saying he enjoyed watching the scouse bastards beating us 6-0 was bizarre to say the least. As for Nigel Clough one useless lazy waste of space.

Did any other members of the 66 World Cup winning team go on to have a managerial career as impressive as Ball ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.