Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder exactly what it is about Raheem Sterling that turns so many people into such snarling dickheads.

He's been a fantastic servant to the club, has as big a trophy haul as any of our other players, scored loads of goals and got loads of assists, is well liked by his teammates and has always done his talking on the pitch. Compared to some of the other legends like Yaya, he's an absolute angel. In fact, even without comparing them, he's been a fantastic professional.

All of his achievements seem to be acknowledged in a begrudging way. Any time the lad gets praised, certain sections of the fanbase feel a really weird compulsion to have to try and top it by giving even more criticism. If you say that you'll remember him as a club legend, you'll get people telling you why you're wrong and listing a bunch of criteria which many other club legends don't tick. If you praise a performance, they'll criticise the opposition. If you praise a particular passage of play, they'll tell you why they think it wasn't as good as you believe.

I honestly don't think I've seen such unachievable standards set for a player of ours, even for those much more talented than he is. We've been far more forgiving towards players who have done far less with far more to offer.

That's all before we even get onto the insinuations about his character, despite there being no evidence to back it up.

His detractors amongst our supporters have an answer for everything, even if they're just the same circular, meaningless comments repeated again and again, to the whoops and hollers of others who share their disdain.

It's not about whether people rate him or not; I get why he's divisive as a footballer and I get just as frustrated with him as any right minded City supporter during matches but I simply don't get why so many of us are so proud of not rating him and will scream about it until they're blue in the face.

I'd like to think that he'll be remembered much more fondly a few years after he's left because I genuinely think he deserves better from us.

I just wonder exactly what it is about Raheem Sterling that turns so many people into such snarling dickheads.

He's been a fantastic servant to the club, has as big a trophy haul as any of our other players, scored loads of goals and got loads of assists, is well liked by his teammates and has always done his talking on the pitch. Compared to some of the other legends like Yaya, he's an absolute angel. In fact, even without comparing them, he's been a fantastic professional.

All of his achievements seem to be acknowledged in a begrudging way. Any time the lad gets praised, certain sections of the fanbase feel a really weird compulsion to have to try and top it by giving even more criticism. If you say that you'll remember him as a club legend, you'll get people telling you why you're wrong and listing a bunch of criteria which many other club legends don't tick. If you praise a performance, they'll criticise the opposition. If you praise a particular passage of play, they'll tell you why they think it wasn't as good as you believe.

I honestly don't think I've seen such unachievable standards set for a player of ours, even for those much more talented than he is. We've been far more forgiving towards players who have done far less with far more to offer.

That's all before we even get onto the insinuations about his character, despite there being no evidence to back it up.

His detractors amongst our supporters have an answer for everything, even if they're just the same circular, meaningless comments repeated again and again, to the whoops and hollers of others who share their disdain.

It's not about whether people rate him or not; I get why he's divisive as a footballer and I get just as frustrated with him as any right minded City supporter during matches but I simply don't get why so many of us are so proud of not rating him and will scream about it until they're blue in the face.

I'd like to think that he'll be remembered much more fondly a few years after he's left because I genuinely think he deserves better from us.
Well said

because our fan base are dickheads.
they are sheep who go with any " popular " narrative .
they don't have the courage to speak up.

the media fucking love it.

Personally i'd like him to stay but i wish him well if he decides to leave.
He's been an excellent player for us

To be honest, I am surprised he is being moved on, he is a good player.

Jesus leaving at the same time, De Bruyne and Mahrez both 31 yrs old now & Sterling is 27.

They might regret it in a years time.

because our fan base are dickheads.
they are sheep who go with any " popular " narrative .
they don't have the courage to speak up.

the media fucking love it.

Some are,but most just hold a differing opinion.

Sterling is an odd player in that he is as bad as he is good - he frustrates enormously,hence the varying levels of praise and criticism.

What IMO encourages the detractors is the fanboys.While the criticism can often be very harsh and aggressive,so the praise is often unjustified and well overboard in terms of what has actually been produced by the player.This then creates the scenario we witness on these threads.....with each 'side' having very aggressive contributors who exaggerate their point,which then creates vicious/unhealthy debate.

It would be wonderful if he attracted a bit more honesty from our support.

On another important note.......Sterling has never really displayed a passion or affection for the club in the same way others have done,this has obviously left some feeling much lesser warmth for him.

Some are,but most just hold a differing opinion.

Sterling is an odd player in that he is as bad as he is good - he frustrates enormously,hence the varying levels of praise and criticism.

What IMO encourages the detractors is the fanboys.While the criticism can often be very harsh and aggressive,so the praise is often unjustified and well overboard in terms of what has actually been produced by the player.This then creates the scenario we witness on these threads.....with each 'side' having very aggressive contributors who exaggerate their point,which then creates vicious/unhealthy debate.

It would be wonderful if he attracted a bit more honesty from our support.

On another important note.......Sterling has never really displayed a passion or affection for the club in the same way others have done,this has obviously left some feeling much lesser warmth for him.
Couldn't have put it better myself really.

Been a great player for us
Some ungrateful nobs we have as fans.

The frustrating parts of his game have stopped him being a truly great player, but still a very good one, a wonderful club servant, no mither off the pitch, seems really popular with his team mates and a hugely positive contributor to our success in recent years. Plus, that cross a month ago changed the course of that game.

Think it’s probably time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.