It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Yep and I can guarantee that he's already had offers for a big pay day at other clubs around Spain and elsewhere.

Probably just in no rush to leave because he's living the dream where he is.

Fair play to him as well for making that decision, playing every week, European competition and getting in the Spain squad as well while leaving in a beautiful city and sunny climate?

Surely it would be more productive to play our own youngster in Palmer than buy this lad though? Gordon looks a fairly decent prospect, but he has been given game time. Maybe if we actually give our lads a chance like he has been, they'll step up to the mark.

For me if it is a choice of Palmer or another team's young promising player, I'd rather see Palmer get the backing.

Likewise if the choice is Neymar or such a costly 30+ year old temporary fill, I'd happily see Palmer given a proper go.

Anything inbetween, I'd rather see an established experienced first team player replace Sterling and Jesus combined, which is a heck of an ask.

I think expectations of Palmer are way too high, and people will be disappointed. Seen it so many times before, Delap, THB, Tosin, Denayer, Rekik, Diaz and loads more. Even Foden. In the sense that after a handful of bit part appearences people expected him to just start games suddenly and replace David, when in reality he had a couple more seasons of building up appearences.

Players don't just 'break through' like some imagine Palmer will. They edge their way quietly into the team. They also do ut surrounded by a fully functioning team of regulars, not with a huge void to fill and responsibility on them to match record numbers. Hope Palmer does in the long run work his way to a regular for us, and a damn good one. But won't be a case of the club just trusting him to step up from 4 cameo appearances last season to replacing 90m+ worth of players.

None of those players were in their physical primes and sold to league rivals.

I'm not all doom and gloom about losing any of them but there's quite a bit of context you've missed out there.

That's fair enough. Sterling has been degrading in a City shirt and Ake is a fourth-choice centre-back.

Irrespective of their ages, perceived physical prime, my own (subjective) context is those players I did cite were key components and we still kept on winning.

Sterling and Ake are not, and they are replaceable.

That's fair enough. Sterling has been degrading in a City shirt and Ake is a fourth-choice centre-back.

Irrespective of their ages, perceived physical prime, my own (subjective) context is those players I did cite were key components and we still kept on winning.

I think our problem is that the club is so quiet about their transfers that we don’t really know what they’re planning.

been hearing for weeks now that "an agreement with chelsea is close" in the media when are they gonna stop being cheapskates and pay up? time's ticking

They will get Sterling, Ake is also defo up for it.

Will be over £100m.

Certainly think Raheem will be sooner rather than later now.

Ake is clearly a back up option but Chelsea are desperate, so can actually see him going for more than Sterling!

They're after De Ligt as Ake is too expensive apparently.

Sterling has been degrading in a City shirt and Ake is a fourth-choice centre-back.

This is true but they're also improvements on what Chelsea have in those positions.

We shouldn't be too bothered with the direct impact on our squad but it is unfortunate that a league rival is going to directly benefit from them leaving us.

As you say, they can be replaced. I just hope that they will be.

I have said this before ake, Sterling, Gabby, fernandinho and zinc are all great players and offer alot to our club but none were automatic starters for us last season. We have haaland, alvarez and Philips already in and cucurella looks likely plus mcatee and palmer looking to be more involved in the first team maybe give Doyle or mbete the responsibility of 4th choice or bring back denayer on a free. Boys we have already smashed this window chill.

Last edited:

Don't see the point in replacing Ake, its an area we have always struggled with and he's good enough. Sterling can go, we have enough cover for him and at a decent price it makes sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.