Gas & Electricity

It’s a result of how the market is set up where the unit price is set by the cost of the most expensive part of the energy mix. Seems mad to me that someone can’t come up with a way to reset how the market works to make it an average cost rather than the cost of the most expensive, but I suspect there’s a vested interest in not changing it too much because it would affect profits.
I completely agree with this and this is how stupid and ridiculous our system is. It's why I completely disagree with the green and environmental nonsense that ultimately isn't helping the environment but is just there to extract money from people.

How can you right now sign up to a renewables/green tariff that is the same price as a non-renewables tariff? We don't import wind or solar so how has it gone up 400% in price as well?

Right now is the time where the regulator should step in to reform the system. We can't get fixed tariffs so the actual supplier of our energy is now completely irrelevant. If we are to take a fair free market approach then their job is to at least facilitate competition to bring down prices but there is no competition because they're all the same.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this and this is how stupid and ridiculous our system is. It's why I completely disagree with the green and environmental nonsense that ultimately isn't helping the environment but is just there to extract money from people.

How can you right now sign up to a renewables/green tariff that is the same price as a non-renewables tariff? We don't import wind or solar so how has it gone up 400% in price as well?

Right now is the time where the regulator should step in to reform the system. We can't get fixed tariffs so the actual supplier of our energy is now completely irrelevant. Their job is to enact competition to at least bring down prices but right now there is no competition because they're all the same.
If you only used wind & solar generated electricity you would need a good supply of candles as most days it only generates about 25% of UK supply
You can check out how much is generated by each means via this link

You earn 60k because you and your Mrs go out and earn it. Its not given to you for fuck all. You can spend it on flash cars, houses, clothes or whatever the fuck you want because you earn it.
Don’t be made to feel bad about it.
Cheers but I dont think the poster was trying to make me feel bad but yeah we earn it.
The point was even on decent wages like we are (and I said in my origon post that I know we are better off than a lot of people) but if things continue we will start to struggle. Te poverty line is getting higher and higher and is going to start engulfing more and more people - this is not ok and its down to profiteering and nothing else

This is my take on this.
I'm 46 years old I've left school with no gcsesi was classed as thick because I'm dyslexic.
Which I didn't know till I went to college to do joinery.
Anyway I'm from a working class family .
I now have a really gòd job or I think it is as a site manager..and I think I even really good money.
Probably about a60k a year.
My misses earns about 25k a year so in total 85k.
Some people might think that's a lot some might think that's fuck all.
My point is I earn that we don't go mad we have a 3 bed semi etc etc.
But if these bills keep going up we are going to start to feel it.
Why is all the help for people on low income or people on the dole.
I've nothing against anyone who needs help and is genuinely out of work.
But I feel like I'm in the middle of don't need help cos I earn good money and oh fuck him.
I've work really hard to be where I am today but this is getting stupid 3k a year for gas nd electric and its only going to go up.
Will it ever go down again.
I bet not.
Night blues ctid
The help should be for everyone as you say but again you are also falling into the trap (and its why the government keep getting away with shit like this) of being divided or dividing yourself from other people......

You need to look at the bigger picture - what is going on at any level is not ok....its profiteering at a lot of peoples expense no matter what you earn - EVERYONE is going to struggle at some point..more and more people are getting sucked beneath the poverty line and it will continue unless there is a revolution.....Im not getting into which party to vote for as Im not sure any of them are immediately better and more trustworthy than the next though its clear the current encumbants are certainly not to be trusted with the welfare of the everyday person.

I can see riots next year unless this gets resolved, people are already feeling the pressure of these increased prices and with interest rates and food prices escalating it is only going to get worse. People will be stressed about Xmas and if we have a harsh winter it will tip a lit of people over the edge. Mad to think of all the money wasted through the pandemic that could have been used to help the real needy now.

With all the £bns spent supporting people, wouldn’t it be cheaper to re-nationalise the energy companies and give the stuff away??

Also, i read recently that over 75% of the UK population live month to month and save the absolute minimum. This is people living to their means, it doesnt matter if they earn 20k or 40k all of these people are going to be hit very hard. The challange is how to get the support to the right people rather than across the board.

Energy prices have a lot to do with the Ukraine War… a lot.

There’s a ripple effect and it’s been felt internationally.

The rising costs due to inflation are because the government printed money like fucking Zimbabwe to pay for Covid and the furlough scheme, you always need to pay down the line.

Rioting and trashing things isn’t going to help and will only frighten families like your own.
We get less than 4% of our energy from Russia/Ukraine

Other countries in Europe have done lots to stop the price rises - why are we different - why has our government not done the same

I get your point about Covid and agree but that was there extremely poor decisions and again why arent other European countries suffering the same?

Revolution is needed - im not talking about trashing things but I am talking about significant protests....the posties are starting, the rail have done it...others need to follow - we are under now goign to be (again) under non elected leaders as we were with Johnson....that isnt democratic. If a leader of a party fails to the point where his or her own party remove them then a general election should be called - the process is flawed because this doesnt have to happen.

There needs to be a national strike which i dont think has happened since the 1920's

Right now is the time where the regulator should step in to reform the system. We can't get fixed tariffs so the actual supplier of our energy is now completely irrelevant. If we are to take a fair free market approach then their job is to at least facilitate competition to bring down prices but there is no competition because they're all the same.
It would help if the cost wasnt set by the most expensive generator that allows demand to be met. They have a merit order and although 25% is maybe being generated by renewables you pay the electricity price that it costs for gas generation for the whole 100% of demand. So as the marginal cost is next to bugger all for renewables 25% is pure profit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.