Alex Williams Book 'You Saw Me Standing Alone'

Saw Alex outside the Baseball ground circa 1991, said hello and told him that his performance at White Hart Lane in 1982 was one of the best I'd seen.......He was genuinely humbled and thanked me for the kind comments. Top bloke
Similair story to yours when I spoke to him after a few drinks outside Maine Road once(me, not him obviously!). Recalled the game at Stamford Bridge to him, the first season down in the old second division back in the mid 80s. Jim Tolmie scored with what (I think )was our only shot on target, Chelsea were all over us but he was brilliant stopping everything that day. Like your experience, he seemed genuinely flattered that I mentioned that particular game (he also got a fair bit of racist abuse from the neanderthal NF contingent on The Shed End that day)

I remember the 2-1 victory at Elland Road in 83-84 when Alex walked towards the home fans behind the South Stand goal, prior to kick off, and was greeted with a choreographed and obviously rehearsed SIEG HEIL Nazi Salute from the entire lower tier.
Absolutely astonishing, and I definitely recall a few City fans around me laughing.

Different times, but what a hero.

I reckon not one Man City fan would admit to being a cnut for laughing that day or ashamed of it, either.

I don't think much of Leeds fans, so no need for comment on them!

To be fair to them on this occasion BBC North West news did a good interview and feature on him last night at teatime. It covered his time at City ,prejudices he had to face and his work over the years with City in the Community.
Reverting to type, it wasn't on the news later in the evening though . They did however repeat a story about a woman who had travelled from Australia to Cumbria to see for herself a painting she had on her wall at home in 'real life'...obviously much more intetesting and newsworthy!!!
Autobiographies by ex football players are not always that great (including some I've read by ex City players) but I will certainly get this one, especially as some of the procedes are going back into City in the community.
Looking back at Alex Williams career at City, he was great for us during those 2 years in the 2nd Division and obviously a very good 'up and coming' young keeper.
Most of his games in the top flight were when we were in freefall to the 2nd Division or when we came back up and were 'readjusting' to the top flight. Others have no doubt said this, but you do wonder how good he could have been in better City sides and without his injury.

Similair story to yours when I spoke to him after a few drinks outside Maine Road once(me, not him obviously!). Recalled the game at Stamford Bridge to him, the first season down in the old second division back in the mid 80s. Jim Tolmie scored with what (I think )was our only shot on target, Chelsea were all over us but he was brilliant stopping everything that day. Like your experience, he seemed genuinely flattered that I mentioned that particular game (he also got a fair bit of racist abuse from the neanderthal NF contingent on The Shed End that day)
Tolmie scores, probably fave ever City goal...went mental didn't we in the away end..

We had Alex Williams in the studio last night on BBC Radio Manchester for a chat. As many have said, just a nice, down to earth, humble guy. A real Manchester legend. Was a real privilege to chat to him.

Interview starts about 20 mins or so into this and last about 20 minutes if anyone fancies a listen

I reckon not one Man City fan would admit to being a cnut for laughing that day or ashamed of it, either.

I don't think much of Leeds fans, so no need for comment on them!
Laughing
.really...we didn't have many cnts like that in our crowd.
.southern teams and Leeds of course!
We had Alex Williams in the studio last night on BBC Radio Manchester for a chat. As many have said, just a nice, down to earth, humble guy. A real Manchester legend. Was a real privilege to chat to him.

Interview starts about 20 mins or so into this and last about 20 minutes if anyone fancies a listen

Just been on 5 live, had a work call half way through fk did you catch it all?

Whenever there’s talk of someone famous and people are sharing stories of the time they met them, you’ll virtually always, however nice they are, get tales of when someone caught them on a bad day and they came across as a bit of an arse.

Can honestly say in 40 years, I’ve never once heard anyone have a bad word for Alex.

Says it all about the type of man he is.
Met him when i was working in the old football in the community programne...what a genuinely helpful and insightful fella. Well done Alex, despite a vouple of howlers, genuinely good for us as well. Got to consider we had a pretty porus defence when he was in nets

Thank you, that's very generous of you. He is a diamond of a gentle man and yes there was supposed to be a gap between the e and the m there. I have met him a few times, he has been so supportive of the children in a school I was involved with and he is a lovely, lovely man.

Thanks again @theolivegrove :-)
Our community program has big boots ..and hands to fill. When i wss in the community office at Maine Road school (holidays) boss's car on forecourt had his window smashed and car psrk change nicked. Akex knew the kuds or suspected. Got them to wash front doors and windows for the change to psy back to my boss. He was one influential and clever man..well done Alex, amazing 2 x careers

Met him when i was working in the old football in the community programne...what a genuinely helpful and insightful fella. Well done Alex, despite a vouple of howlers, genuinely good for us as well. Got to consider we had a pretty porus defence when he was in nets
I have a vague recollection of a 6-0 loss, and Alex Williams was man of the match.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.