Alex Williams Book 'You Saw Me Standing Alone'

A Leeds mate of mine told me a story about Alex being bombarded with Bananas and a solitary Pineapple at Elland rd early 80s. The fruit was removed from the pitch and the first half was played out. At the whistle Alex walks over and picks up the Pineapple, tucks it under his arm and gives the Leeds end a double thumbs- up, gave a big smile and mouthed Cheers then headed to the dressing room with it. Anyone remember that?
A similar incident happened at Portsmouth too - I think it was a coconut.
It was either the Leeds or Pompey game when he was asked about it and he said he was going to "take it home.for his mum".

The Leeds incident, Alex came.out for the 2nd half and he ran towards the Kop.... Leeds fans were applauding him which took us back a bit, wasn't expecting that.... Alex stuck his hand up to acknowledge the applause and the applause turned into sieg heils and the bananas came raining down. Disgusting to think it was orchestrated not by a minority but a very large number in the kop that day.
The groundstaff had to run on and clear the bananas off the pitch and Alex spent a lot of the time stood on the edge of the box rather than on the goal lime

Yes , I went posh that day and wentbin the main stand with my wife in tow

At one point city's kamikaze defending were hitting under cut back passes to alex and the Fulham fans were howling with laughter saying to Alex ' this lot are trying to get you sacked ' ,

I didn't have the heart to tell them they always play like that ... Caton was the main culprit

At one point the Scoreboard had City 3-1 up

We lost 5-1
Tommy Caton was long gone by the time we lost at Craven Cottage, playing for Arsenal

A similar incident happened at Portsmouth too - I think it was a coconut.
It was either the Leeds or Pompey game when he was asked about it and he said he was going to "take it home.for his mum".

The Leeds incident, Alex came.out for the 2nd half and he ran towards the Kop.... Leeds fans were applauding him which took us back a bit, wasn't expecting that.... Alex stuck his hand up to acknowledge the applause and the applause turned into sieg heils and the bananas came raining down. Disgusting to think it was orchestrated not by a minority but a very large number in the kop that day.
The groundstaff had to run on and clear the bananas off the pitch and Alex spent a lot of the time stood on the edge of the box rather than on the goal lime
Yes, it was a coconut at Pompey, when he came out for the 2nd half at the Fratton End Alex was bombared with bananas and a coconut by the twats.

For anyone interested:

Alex Williams will be signing copies of his autobiography You Saw Me Standing Alone at Waterstones in Altrincham on Sat March 2 between 11 am and 1 pm. Price is £15 and part of proceeds go to City in the Community.
Thank for the heads up.
We went this morning, what a lovely fella Alex is and Andy very kindly took our photograph. Looking forward to reading the book

Reactions: Ric

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.