Bluemoon Angling Thread

What you describe is the reason I don't pike fish although I caught one on a pellet last week on the Severn which was obviously, easy to unhook. The question I'd ask you is, what is the alternative to using trebles and how effective is it ?
There are definitely alternatives. 95% of my lure fishing is with light lures with single hooks. With deadbaits you can use large single or circle hooks. I did it once on The Norfolk Broads and landed fish but lost just as many.

The problem is simple: trebles are miles more effective.

A couple of short lure trips last week with little happening. One bumped jack is all I can remember. Friday afternoon I went to a half empty local reservoir with my pike rod and a big Salmo slider jerkbait. Fairly quickly I landed a nice pike and it was a bit of a nightmare. The mat was on a sloping bank and the middle trebles had impaled themselves , all three hooks, right into its gills from the outside. I couldn't chin it because of the trebles . Total unhooking nightmare, I had to perform surgery on this pike which at one point jumped back in the lake and I had to land it again. At one point I went to to cut the hooks off but my wire cutters were rusted up.

I eventually managed to unhook it without significant damage and the pike went back ok but it was a reminder of how delicate these fish are and, I'm going to be honest, how dangerous treble hooks are. On a less experienced angler this would have been a dead pike. I've never killed one yet but this was the messiest situation I've been in. I sometimes think that trebles should be banned or I should stop using them.

On Friday I go to The River Severn for a week. We've got a cottage on the bank of the river which is literally next door to a fantastic pub, Heaven.
We're going down on the 20th, for 3 days. We've stayed at the Ship, and the Unicorn in the past, but this time we're at the Bull on the Highley Road. Thinking Eardington Brook, Arley, down near the Harbour Inn and maybe one of the lengths on the Apley Estste. Fingers crossed some new water goes in.

We're going down on the 20th, for 3 days. We've stayed at the Ship, and the Unicorn in the past, but this time we're at the Bull on the Highley Road. Thinking Eardington Brook, Arley, down near the Harbour Inn and maybe one of the lengths on the Apley Estste. Fingers crossed some new water goes in.
Great stuff mate. If you stand on the patio at the front of The Ship, looking at the river, we are in literally the first cottage to the left. I'll be fishing the BAA stretch downstream like last year although my mate has a problem - he has ruined his knee and can't get up and down the banks so he might be in that stone peg in fron t of the pub.

Great stuff mate. If you stand on the patio at the front of The Ship, looking at the river, we are in literally the first cottage to the left. I'll be fishing the BAA stretch downstream like last year although my mate has a problem - he has ruined his knee and can't get up and down the banks so he might be in that stone peg in fron t of the pub.
They can be a bit of a problem them boulders downstream, we don't fish them.

Just caught up on the thread. I see a theme is "expensive". Just done first ever 24 hrs on a specimen carp lake. My new fox xd bivvy and bedchair that I can hardly lift. £40 to fish and £40 in bait, not a sniff. Hmmmm.

Off for a 48 hour session Sunday to Tuesday at Bluebell lakes, Tansor near Peterborough. Now got so much gear I struggle to fit it into the A4 Avant with the back seats folded down. Not sure where I go from here if I blank again! :-)

Off for a 48 hour session Sunday to Tuesday at Bluebell lakes, Tansor near Peterborough. Now got so much gear I struggle to fit it into the A4 Avant with the back seats folded down. Not sure where I go from here if I blank again! :-)
I remember Bluebell Lakes, nip into Oundle for a pint at the Ship

Just caught up on the thread. I see a theme is "expensive". Just done first ever 24 hrs on a specimen carp lake. My new fox xd bivvy and bedchair that I can hardly lift. £40 to fish and £40 in bait, not a sniff. Hmmmm.
The beauty of Caro fishing is if you blank with that kit in this weather you've just had a nice camping trip.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.