Bluemoon Angling Thread

Not a fisherman myself but always stop and look in rivers and canals to see if there's anything lurking below the surface.
Before the Newcastle game walked along the Ashton canal towards the Etihad. Was just discussing with my son if there would be many fish in there when we saw about 20 dark coloured fish about a foot long with a fair sized girth. What will these have been?

Not a fisherman myself but always stop and look in rivers and canals to see if there's anything lurking below the surface.
Before the Newcastle game walked along the Ashton canal towards the Etihad. Was just discussing with my son if there would be many fish in there when we saw about 20 dark coloured fish about a foot long with a fair sized girth. What will these have been?

Bream. You can see a shoal swimming around on hot days. My eyes popped out the first time I saw them. Not sure if you saw the same shoal, the one I saw was around 9 or 10 fish but they were good ones around the 4lbs mark. What tickled me was how tame they are. Oblivious to the thousands of noisy people walking past. Clearly unfished for.

Possibly Tench, they're fairly wide and grow to a decent size.

Bream. You can see a shoal swimming around on hot days. My eyes popped out the first time I saw them. Not sure if you saw the same shoal, the one I saw was around 9 or 10 fish but they were good ones around the 4lbs mark. What tickled me was how tame they are. Oblivious to the thousands of noisy people walking past. Clearly unfished for.
Possibly Tench, they're fairly wide and grow to a decent size.

These were beasts20230819_152306.jpg

Was about to go for a swim in the stretch of the little ouse near us (Norfolk /Cambridge border) when a seal swam off!!
The river is packed with fish, just as well as there are otters & cormorants a plenty..
Yesterday however about 4/5 miles downstream in the Great Ouse dolphins have been spotted, only a non fisherman would see this as a "lovely suprise"

A couple of short lure trips last week with little happening. One bumped jack is all I can remember. Friday afternoon I went to a half empty local reservoir with my pike rod and a big Salmo slider jerkbait. Fairly quickly I landed a nice pike and it was a bit of a nightmare. The mat was on a sloping bank and the middle trebles had impaled themselves , all three hooks, right into its gills from the outside. I couldn't chin it because of the trebles . Total unhooking nightmare, I had to perform surgery on this pike which at one point jumped back in the lake and I had to land it again. At one point I went to to cut the hooks off but my wire cutters were rusted up.

I eventually managed to unhook it without significant damage and the pike went back ok but it was a reminder of how delicate these fish are and, I'm going to be honest, how dangerous treble hooks are. On a less experienced angler this would have been a dead pike. I've never killed one yet but this was the messiest situation I've been in. I sometimes think that trebles should be banned or I should stop using them.

On Friday I go to The River Severn for a week. We've got a cottage on the bank of the river which is literally next door to a fantastic pub, Heaven.
hiya DD, sorry if you have already posted a link,but did you finish that fishing video or are you still after that once in a lifetime perch

you should start fishing,your fisherman's tales are spot on :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.