James Stannage and Umberto on Piccadilly Radio

TinFoilHat

Hidden in the spacecraft of our reptilian overlord
Team supported
Manchester City
Just a random thread this.

In my teenage years. I'd live with my gran for it. Being my gran she loved me and let me get away with anything. Including staying up. My routine would be staying up listening to both of them on the radio before going to bed. Stannage was pretty much talk radio before it's time. Yet I remember Umberto acting like a support system for callers ringing in.

I was my formative years and maybe it's my memories playing tricks on me?

I recorded shows by them both on cassette that have been sadly lost. I vaguely remember recording one of stannage's shows after we beat Liverpool and Paul Nolan was pretending to support Leeds.

What are other blues memories from their shows?

Stannage was great, he'd have some top arguments and have a lot of callers apoplectic with rage lol. Umberto started as a regular caller on the Suzie Mathers show before getting his own slot.

I used to listen to Stannage on key 103.

Properly funny but there were some worryingly unhinged nutters on there, including the host.

He had some very odd views. Wouldn’t be surprised if he were still on these days he went down the conspiracy theory / anti vax rabbit hole.

Stannage was working the bar in Retro before it was revamped just a few years back. Was good value for a chat about footy and cricket but the post above isn't far off the mark.

Stannage used to have a “funny hour” at the beginning of his show and I wrote in and a friend and I got to co-present for an hour.

We were part of the “Psychedelic Hamster Posse” and were about 13-14. Good laugh and good seeing behind the scenes at Piccadilly radio.

I remember he used to say he had one son who was a Rag and one a Blue so he was neutral...but he sounded like a Rag tbh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.