James Stannage and Umberto on Piccadilly Radio

I loved Stannage. But, jesus, he could start a row in an empty phone box. Consequently, people would call in and disagree with him. Stridentky! I suppose that's why he had that graveyard time slot; he wasn't really suitable for the breakfast slot, was he?

He was probably the germ of an idea for Talksport. Get loud shouty wind up merchants working there and make loads of money by getting irate fans calling in to have a go at them.

Stannage was excellent at what he did. He mainly just took the opposite view of whoever called in and bang the battle was on. He used to get people threatening to wait for him after work to beat him up or kill him lol he wound some up so much.

Reactions: bt4
A bloke who looked like (from photos) and sounded like James Stannage used to drink in "Fred's Ale House" in Levenshulme.
He was a larger than life character who definitely liked a drink. Am sure he was babbling on about MUFC a few times, so assume he supported them ?
Unfortunately, Fred's has recently closed at the moment, but haven't seen him in there the last few times.
Definitely preferred James H. Reeve who was far more subtle in winding people up...

I loved listening to Stannage and he was instrumental in promoting the likes of Mike Harding and Jasper Carrott. I remember Carrott telling the story of driving back from a gig in Lancashire and was trying to find something to listen to on late-night radio. As he was on the M6 near Wigan, he found Stannage and said he nearly crashed the car.

I was at a party at friends some years ago and got chatting to some bloke I didn't properly recognise at first, then from his voice realised it was Stannage. That was a good laugh then I saw him again a while later serving behind the bar at the sadly-demolished Ducie Bridge pub.

I loved listening to Stannage and he was instrumental in promoting the likes of Mike Harding and Jasper Carrott. I remember Carrott telling the story of driving back from a gig in Lancashire and was trying to find something to listen to on late-night radio. As he was on the M6 near Wigan, he found Stannage and said he nearly crashed the car.

I was at a party at friends some years ago and got chatting to some bloke I didn't properly recognise at first, then from his voice realised it was Stannage. That was a good laugh then I saw him again a while later serving behind the bar at the sadly-demolished Ducie Bridge pub.
I was listening one night and he began the show reading out a letter he'd received allegedly sent in my name, calling him gay and telling him to clear off to Canal Street....
He was telling me to ring him up and say that on air to him. Kept saying my name and "from Blue Bell Ave, Moston".
I called and the woman answered and I gave my name and she said "oh, you" and I replied "I never wrote that...."
She put me straight through and obviously told him through his headphones i was on hold while he was still ranting about me.
He introduced me and I said it wasn't me and he immediately went into apology mode, changed the subject and we talked about City for 5 mins

Loved listening to Dave(curly shirley)Ward UTBC on nightime Picadilly, I think was prior to all the talk shows?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.