Cole Palmer

Unless you’re Bernardo or Walker.
Very different, Bernardo loves the club, it's just a lifestyle issue which for a guy from Portugal is understandable.

Walker played Bayern for me and fair play to him in doing so, he got a very nice contract extension from us and probably a nice lump sum for doing so, and in this case is utterly and totally deserved.

Unless you’re Bernardo or Walker.
We've obviously never had an acceptable bid for them though, Bernie especially.

Players of lesser ability going in the £80-£100m range and the papers saying Bernie for less than £50m, that's taking the piss!

The club's policy on players who want out (as Palmer apparently did) is pretty constant, to be fair. If we get a bid that the club deems acceptable, then we let the player go. He wanted more game time, which was always going to be difficult, given the squad we have. I'm comfortable with the decision to let him leave. Will we end up regretting it? Who knows? In the same way as signing a player has an element of risk, the same applies to outgoing transfers. Players come and go, the club goes on.

It's really weird that people keep pretending that wanting to stay or leave is a binary decision that happens in a vacuum.

If Palmer wanted to leave - he'd never said anything about it before, it'd not been reported - then it is likely because the club just bought 3 players who play in his position, Bobb was preferred over him in preseason and he thought he wouldn't play.

Bernardo and Walker might intimate they want to leave, but their game time has never been effected and they've never been told - either explicitly, or through actions - that the club doesn't really value them.

We'll see if the club has "dropped a clanger" in a few years time when we know where Bobb, Nunes, Doku are and what Palmer is doing at Chelsea.

Of course the obvious point is that every club does drop clangers and sells players they regret. Why would we be any different?

If Palmer wanted to leave - he'd never said anything about it before, it'd not been reported - then it is likely because the club just bought 3 players who play in his position, Bobb was preferred over him in preseason and he thought he wouldn't play.
Cole got hurt in that first preseason game(which I thought he played extremely well in) and then started the Super Cup and was MOTM.

I agree that every club sells players they regret but I thought his talent was evident and was/is very much in the mold of players that Pep loves. As you said, time will tell but I won't be too surprised if he's getting called up over the likes of Bowen in the foreseeable future.

I was a bit gutted when he went. I like seeing young players come up through our ranks - it's nice having a mix of talent brought in from elsewhere and some more home grown. I can't say we'll massively miss him this season but we might look back next season or the one after and wish we had him still!

Timely article that I think sums up the whole thing perfectly at the end -

He has already played more Premier League minutes for Chelsea than he did in his entire City career and there will be no ill will from Guardiola and Palmer’s former club when the two sides meet on Sunday. City insiders still describe him as “a great lad and talented player” who simply wanted a guarantee of more opportunities, which the club’s fans should also be understanding of.
Doku’s superb impact means it would be churlish to claim City have made a mistake over allowing Palmer to leave and they knew full well just what a good player Chelsea were signing.
The early signs are, however, that Chelsea have got an even better player and person in Palmer than they had bargained for.

The club's policy on players who want out (as Palmer apparently did) is pretty constant, to be fair. If we get a bid that the club deems acceptable, then we let the player go. He wanted more game time, which was always going to be difficult, given the squad we have. I'm comfortable with the decision to let him leave. Will we end up regretting it? Who knows? In the same way as signing a player has an element of risk, the same applies to outgoing transfers. Players come and go, the club goes on.
This is spot on

Cole got hurt in that first preseason game(which I thought he played extremely well in) and then started the Super Cup and was MOTM.

I agree that every club sells players they regret but I thought his talent was evident and was/is very much in the mold of players that Pep loves. As you said, time will tell but I won't be too surprised if he's getting called up over the likes of Bowen in the foreseeable future.
If Cole reaches his potential & thats a big if at the moment, then it would be one of the very few sales that could be seen as a regret. I'm struggling to think of any player we have sold who has gone on to be a success.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.