5 | John Stones - 2023/24

Should have come on after 75 minutes to see the game out at 2-0. Ridiculous from Pep to leave it until the damage had been done to bring him on.

Genuinely think getting Stones back, properly fit and on form, and available for most games is probably more important than getting De Bruyne back.

Which isn’t any kind of slight on De Bruyne at all, more just a recognition of how important Stones is to us playing that hybrid CB/CM role.

Akanji is game but obviously nowhere near his levels in that role. Otherwise, we end up with Rodri on his own in midfield with enormous gaps all around him. Or we sit another midfielder alongside Rodri, and end up pushing one or both fullbacks high up the pitch - despite them not being suited to that role. And it leaving a huge amount of space for opponents to exploit.

If we could get Stones back in, I’d give us a good chance of winning it again - even if De Bruyne weren’t to come back soon enough and / or firing. If he does come back as well, I’d back us to blow the rest away again.

Wonderful player but he is missing for far too many games, becoming a serious problem.

Stones is a top top player but we need to accept he will only play 50% of the season. Therefore we need to factor this into said planning and allow for it. Going in with a small squad and players like Stones, Doku and Nunes who are prone to injury plus players nearing the end like KDB and Walker is a recipe for, maybe not disaster but an average season.

We have Dias,Akanji,Ake and Gvardiol with Stones out, don't think there are any other teams with than kind of quality in depth, I wouldn't rush into the market for a centre back prefer a left back if one is there in Jan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.