Pep documentary on BBC

Regarding the show I thought it good, but lacking in any sort of depth as to why he's the best. No nod of the hat to the false nine Foden season, the Stones role last season from both rb and cb. The coaching required to pull those two off alone is off the charts.

It waxed lyrical about all his achievements, but didn't scratch the surface for me. So many tactical topics to delve into.
Agree completely, a missed opportunity on WHY he is so good.

The guy was the last manager to stop one of the Old Firm from winning the Scottish League along with being the last manager to beat Real Madrid in a European Final (that was 39 years ago). He then went on to win 13 league titles over 24 years with united!

I hate the **** but credit where's it due hey!
I did give credit. I said he was successful.

If you look at Pep he has changed the way football is played. Even at grass roots level teams play out from the back. Just one example.

Ferguson’s teams played one way throughout. Fast wingers getting crosses in and a dirty twat in midfield! :)

The guy was the last manager to stop one of the Old Firm from winning the Scottish League along with being the last manager to beat Real Madrid in a European Final (that was 39 years ago). He then went on to win 13 league titles over 24 years with united!

I hate the **** but credit where's it due hey!
His record cannot be denied but I would. put it. down to more motivational slills, sometimes luck, formation of the premier league, the red scouse dynasty demise as a contender and fear through bullying players and media to never criticise him once on a roll (afterall the first 2 seasons he was a sitting duck woth the press and the rags were awful).

Did he bring in new fitness and diet ideas?
Did he revolutionise playing styles and how other teams across the pyramid?
could you really say what style of football they even played under him as a legacy?

His best skills were making some bang average players believe they were good enough and become champions, motivate teams into solid units and control narratives.

One of the best man managers the league has seen but a pioneer that changed it? I would say only Wenger (to a degree) and Pep could claim that.

Last edited:
Agree completely, a missed opportunity on WHY he is so good.
I think I got that from the film tbh, about his youth, his devotion to cryuff and his mantra, his enthusiam to adapt, renew and refresh.

Tactical analyis was briiefly covereved for the defining moments, but it wasn't a stats show, it was am emotional story of a great man.

I cant help thinking that it should have been a two part or two hours long. Cramping it all into a hour didnt do Pep justice.

Personally I would have like more on City, what City have offer him in terms of freedom to change English football. The fact that Pep has stayed so long at City.

I would have liked more praise from the knobhead who was representing the british press/media. The bitterness came through which was a real disappointment, but I guess to be expected.

Yes the documentary was about Pep and not City but City have played a huge roll in Peps live. The City part seemed abit rushed and through gritted teeth. The amount pl records Pep has broken with City not even mention.

Still I'm surprised the bbc even made the programme lol and on the whole it was good. The mention of state funding from winter was unnecessary but typical bbc

Last edited:
His record cannot be denied but I would. put it. down to more motivational slills, sometimes luck, formation of the premier league, the red scouse dynasty demise as a contender and fear through bullying players and media to never criticise him once on a roll (afterall the first 2 seasons he was a sitting duck woth the press and the rags were awful).

Did he bring in new fitness and diet ideas?
Did he revolutionise playing styles and how other teams across the pyramid?
could yohvsay what style of football they even played under him as a legacy?

His best skills wee making some bang average players believe they were good enough and become champions, motivate teams into solid units and control narratives.

One of the best man managers the league has seen but a pioneer that changed it? I would say only Wenger (to a degree) and Pep could claim that.
This is exactly what I was trying to get at earlier. No one can deny Fergusons trophies won was an incredible achievement but he did change football like others.
I can't think of anything style of play wise that was groundbreaking of any of his teams.
This was discussed recently with neville, keane, Wright etc and all neville could say that he did new was squad rotation!

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was trying to get at earlier. No one can deny Fergusons trophies won was an incredible achievement but he did change football like others.
I can't think of anything style of play wise that was groundbreaking of any of his teams.
This was discussed recently with neville, keane, Wright etc and all neville could say that he did new was squad rotation!

Squad rotation lol yea because the rags could buy more and better players than other clubs because they had more money !!

To be fair Porto as a city is amazing, the ground was close by, the beer was reasonable and airport was 10 mins away, (and we got free flights)!

I had a great time!
Yeah, was an amazing day before the match. Great City and i probably enjoyed it even more because after covid it was the first time a lot of people had been able to have a full day out together in the sun.

Was obviously gutted at the time but winning for the first time in Istanbul where we were able to party all night made it worth the wait. The celebrations would have been pretty shit in comparison for the majority after Porto. Straight back to the airport and then on a flight.

I cant help thinking that it should have been a two part or two hours long. Cramping it all into a hour didnt do Pep justice.

Personally I would have like more on City, what City have offer him in terms of freedom to change English football. The fact that Pep has stayed so long at City.

I would have liked more praise from the knobhead who was representing the british press/media. The bitterness came through which was a real disappointment, but I guess to be expected.

Yes the documentary was about Pep and not City but City have played a huge roll in Peps live. The City part seemed abit rushed and through gritted teeth. The amount pl records Pep has broken with City not even mention.

Still I'm surprised the bbc even made the programme lol and on the whole it was good. The mention of state funding from winter was unnecessary but typical bbc
Yep, a lot about Barcelona, about a minute about Munich, then seem to rush City, oh he was shit when he first came then he won a load that was it. The editing was even wrong, when it showed pep after the his first premiership champions win, the audio said that's 4 out of 5 for Man City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.