Pep documentary on BBC

I don't look down at Stuart Pearce like some on here as he was a fine footballer and a warrior who played 38 times for us. Ok, he wasn't a good manager and we played boring football under him but i like the guy. And he's also a big Stranglers fan so he'll do for me.

But that 04/0 season under him, deary me: (

I moved to Oz in the Pearce days, handed over my season ticket to my brother with 9 games left & he never saw us score…

It was an interesting programme and comparison. The two best teams and both Pep teams. Barca with outstanding individuals playing as a team and us with less accepted (KBD apart) players sweeping all aside. I think our/his 2018 was more like Barca, but I don't know whether they came up against 6-5-0 formations like we do all the time. It could be, of course, that our players are not lauded as much as they were/are and we are the second coming, so to speak.

Were they better individuals Buscetts/Rodri - KDB/Messi - Bernie/Iniesta / Puyol-Dias / Stones-Pique etc. Were our fullback better? They didn't have a Harland (didn't need one obv).

I'm left with the feeling that they were the better team and I don't really know why. Maybe I've been conditioned to think that by the reporting over the years. One point the programme made was that, with Bayern, he made a mistake, not too dissimilar to the Chelsea CL final and I believe he was more pragmatic against Inter, ensuring the win.
If we are fortunate enough to reach the final again - whoever it is we face - I think we have to blow them away like Barca did to the Rags, to ranked better than them.

If Barca faced the 650 the teams were soon down to 10 men. I honestly believe we’ve had to change & adapt as teams are allowed to continually foul without picking up yellows & reds.

We always picked up reds v Barca.

Watching this makes you realise we are truly blessed to have Pep Guardiola at our club. An absolute class above any other coach of his time.

How did Ferguson change football?

He was successful but I wouldn’t describe him as a visionary in the way Pep is.
The guy was the last manager to stop one of the Old Firm from winning the Scottish League along with being the last manager to beat Real Madrid in a European Final (that was 39 years ago). He then went on to win 13 league titles over 24 years with united!

I hate the **** but credit where's it due hey!

Last edited:
I enjoyed the programme but felt there could have been a bit more match action. They showed the goal that gave us 100 points, but nothing about winning the domestic treble in 2019 or coming from two down to beat Villa and win the PL in 2022. - Some of the celebrations might have been from those games but the achievements deserved greater coverage.
The treble last season could also have been covered better. - Or am I being a bit greedy?

I wouldn't worry mate, the BBC is on it's arse! If you watch it back carefully, when they show United winning their treble, they use a picture of Tony Adams at Highbury!

He got benched towards the back end of the season from what I can remember with Rodri. Doesn’t bare thinking about that final but it turned out nicely in the end in 2023.
To be fair Porto as a city is amazing, the ground was close by, the beer was reasonable and airport was 10 mins away, (and we got free flights)!

I had a great time!

Enjoyed it immensely.

Receiving the insightful and considered praise of one’s fellow professionals, especially those who may have been adversaries or critics, is the highest praise one can receive.

The awards are one thing, and they cement the achievements you have made on the field of play. However, to receive the quality and depth of feeling for his personal performance is another level of achievement that is far harder to attain.

He is unique in the game of football, in that he has changed the biggest sport in the world. He has bent it to his will. He has literally reinvented the way the game is played, even by other coaches and players.

One of a kind genius…and I think it came through from all involved.
What you have just said there about Pep as a person is absolutely spot on!

As brilliant as Clough, Ferguson and Wenger were. They could all be horrible bastards (ala Moruhino)

Pep as a man is universally loved and is respected just as much for his personality as he is for his ability. The only other mangers I can remember having that level of respect are Bobby Robson and Terry Venables! You can't buy class!

The guy was the last manager to stop one of the Old Firm from winning the Scottish League along with being the last manager to beat Real Madrid in a European Final (that was 39 years ago). He then went on to win 13 league titles over 24 years with united!

I hate the **** but credit where's it due hey!
He was successful but had little impact on the way football was played. A pragmatist like Jose rather than a visionary like Pep or Johan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.