Electric cars

I'm getting around 200 miles from my car definitely no way near the 265 stated, motorway driving is pants and to be honest I drive my MX5 now on longer journeys, but around town they are amazing, I can drive around using brake regen and hardly use any power. Charging from home is pennies, and on average its about £1.50 a week to charge, if im out and about in Preston I know a Genie point which is costing me 34p KWh..

I'm getting around 200 miles from my car definitely no way near the 265 stated, motorway driving is pants and to be honest I drive my MX5 now on longer journeys, but around town they are amazing, I can drive around using brake regen and hardly use any power. Charging from home is pennies, and on average its about £1.50 a week to charge, if im out and about in Preston I know a Genie point which is costing me 34p KWh..
I feel that EV's as things are at present are reminiscent of Betamax and 8-tracks.

The sheer inconvenience along would put me off.

Travelling to Ottawa (200 miles one way) on an evening to watch a hockey game, with an outside temperature of -25 or so.

Would it actually get me there and how long do I spend recharging if it falls short? Returning late at night would be an even greater concern, because it would be rural driving.

I could see the usefulness if it's confined to short trips or pottering around town, but here would be very impractical and inconvenient.

I feel that EV's as things are at present are reminiscent of Betamax and 8-tracks.

Travelling to Ottawa (200 miles one way) on an evening to watch a hockey game, with an outside temperature of -25 or so.

Would it actually get me there and how long do I spend recharging if it falls short? Returning late at night would be an even greater concern, because it would be rural driving.

I could see the usefulness if it's confined to short trips or pottering around town, but here would be very impractical and inconvenient.
EVs, much like pick up trucks and sports cars, are suited to a particular type of driver and usage.

For the average person, they are an excellent daily driver.

For the person who lives in a 4 month solid winter climate, it requires some thought, or may even be unsuitable.

To the person who drives 300-400 miles a day regularly, they’re the wrong vehicle, unless you’re willing to spend time at a charger.

They are not a solution to every problem, but are a very good solution to most drivers.

At this point, it seems silly to own anything other then at least a high mpg hybrid vehicle.

We’ve had a Chevy Volt (Opel Ampera) for 11 yrs, done 150,000 miles and have got 72 mpg. We recently replaced our gas guzzling Subaru WRX for a Model Y and we love not spending $50-100 every other week or so!

So far, based on our cost of electricity, we have saved almost $1,000 in 6 mos, but that’s doing a few 110 miles trips in the dead of winter that stole 200 miles of electrons. Thankfully, I’ve installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet there, so I can charge at 40A, whereas it’s 12A at home. That’s the difference between 30mph charge rate and 4 mph!!

In short, like gingers, EVs are not for everyone, so don’t try to shoehorn your driving into one. If it makes sense (and it almost always does) then make the leap. But, if not, then enjoy the higher mileage and efficiency of a hybrid, plug-in, if you can swing it!

Currently some great deals on EVs, though!
My mate has a 2019 Model S that he’s selling ($40K) in order to buy a low mileage $65K 2022 Mercedes EQS (MSRP $145K)!!! $25K to upgrade to a 3 yr newer, much lower mileage, $60,000 higher MSRP car.

Ford cant give away the Mustang Mach E right now!!

That’s why hybrids shoukd be encouraged, most town driving would be on electric stopping pollution for everyone and then longer journeys use normal fuel, if your in a traffic jam it then goes back to electric so no pollution, I do think electric will be superseded once they can unlock hydrogen properly

That’s why hybrids shoukd be encouraged, most town driving would be on electric stopping pollution for everyone and then longer journeys use normal fuel, if your in a traffic jam it then goes back to electric so no pollution, I do think electric will be superseded once they can unlock hydrogen properly
I have a Mini Countryman Hybrid with a range of 22-26 miles depending on temp and type of road. Petrol only, returns around 45mpg. As we live about 10 miles from supermarket, retail parks etc this is ideal as we mainly use electric locally and then a mixture on long drives. The EVHVB is guaranteed for 8 years, it's into its 4 year year with no problems and expect to exchange the car next year. Another Hybrid, don't know yet.
Expensive to buy though!

I'm looking at the Jaguar I-pace 2nd hand with 30k ish miles are 20k now. They have had great reviews, curious how much value a 2nd hand ev will lose as the market isn't really old enough yet.
the thing that puts me off a second hand one is how long are the batteries going to last, im led to believe that the the cost of the battery pack is around 40% of the car although i may be wrong and there is not enough significant data as to how long they are going to last before needing replacing and that worries me a little.

I would imagine that once the battery is out of warranty the car has essentially no value.

Try finding someone with the knowledge to fix these cars outside of the main dealerships it's near impossible. I run a Toyota Prius, a car that's been around for over 20 years yet hardly anyone knows how to fix the electric side of things.

I'd agree. It works perfectly for us as we very rarely do more than 25 miles per day and our plug-in hybrid has about 38 miles of range. We sometimes put it on petrol mode though just to stop the petrol from going off. Get ridiculous MPG ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.