Time added on

In the Brentford game there honestly should have been about 15 minutes added on. The timewasting from them was so unbelievably egregious from literally the start of the second half that I was in disbelief. Their keeper took 40-50 seconds to restart play regularly. Ultimately I'm glad a more accurate number wasn't used since I just wanted the game to be over with.

At Bournemouth on Saturday, I was surprised only six minutes were added after all the subs, then there was a further delay due to a possible head injury which is why six became eight. It was a very long eight minutes!

The maths is quite simple. On average, in games where we are winning an average of 7.36 minutes is added on. In games where we are losing or drawing (and therefore need a goal) an average of 6.25 minutes has been added on.

You can also refine the analysis in this way. Where we are leading by one goal the average time added on is 8.16 minutes whereas if we are winning by more than one goal it falls to 6.4 minutes.
Not really enough of a difference to indicate bias. All it really suggests to me is that when we're chasing a game Pep makes fewer subs (so as to not disrupt the flow of the game) and the ball is in play more because we're stroking it around between the centre-circle and the edge of the area. Still wish they'd get rid of the rule altogether, though, and just start booking cheats instead.

Based on 1 game where City needed to score and the other team didn't going into the 90 mins.

For draws both teams are affected equally.

At Bournemouth on Saturday, I was surprised only six minutes were added after all the subs, then there was a further delay due to a possible head injury which is why six became eight. It was a very long eight minutes!
Just had a look at a match reply, whistle sounded at 97.07 but Stones was only down for a maximum 30 seconds during injury time and KDB kicking the ball a few yards down the touchline resulted in about a five second delay. Not sure where the ref found another 30 seconds to add on but Bournemouth were desperately trying for an equalizer! Interestingly the ball was in play for just under four minutes of those seven, the rest of the time was when the ball went out of play for three goal kicks, some thrown ins and waiting for free kicks to be taken. As a rule our games have more time with the ball in play than any other despite all the time wasting by other teams and this is because we quite often keep the ball for a couple of minutes before the other team win it back and then we win it back quickly. However because of this teams waste time which rarely gets added on at the end like it does for other teams. We seem to get little added on if we are winning comfortably or losing. When we are hanging on by a goal there appears to be more than is justified.

Not really enough of a difference to indicate bias. All it really suggests to me is that when we're chasing a game Pep makes fewer subs (so as to not disrupt the flow of the game) and the ball is in play more because we're stroking it around between the centre-circle and the edge of the area.
And yet the part you selectively quote edits out the observation that teams who need a goal to get a result against us get 30% more time added than when we are looking for a goal to win the game. Which is plainly enough to indicate the possibility of bias, but plainly not enough to prove the existence of bias

You might be right that there may be in-game contributory factors as to why less time gets added on when we need to score. Does that explain the whole difference? I doubt it, but maybe. You seem however to disregard the statistical evidence that we get less time when we need a goal for - well I'm not sure why. Just 'because.'

Each to their own. IMO FWIW it is something that would deserve further scrutiny.

Just shows how we are struggling to kill games off and have to fight for every point this season. We seem to have lost the ability to kick the afterburners on and tear teams apart.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.