Investments

Quick question, I have a couple of good final salary pensions and a defined contribution one with a healthy amount in. I intend to take a lump sum out of my defined contribution pension at retirement and then drawdown on the remaining until my final salaries kick in.
I know it generally makes sense when dealing with large sums of money to take professional advice, but do you have to pay an IFA to be allowed access to it ?
For what you’re suggesting, no you shouldn’t have to although not every defined contribution pension has a drawdown facility so you may need to move it to one that does.

How smart/stupid it is to invest in real estate at the moment?
Or is it better to open my own flower deliver business instead?
I figured out that with the text services for business i not gonna have huge expenses to communicate with the customers. I also don't need to rent an office and do everything in my wife's work shop. What are youe thoughts?

Last edited:
My nutmeg account was losing money every day so I stopped putting money in as the more money in there, the more I was losing.
It seems to have levelled out and beginning to grow slowly now so I've just set up a direct debit hoping thay by putting money in on a dip, it will grow back to where it was and I can end up even within a couple of years.

@SWP's back
As it's totally stagnated for the past 12 months, I'm going to transfer my property fund into another fund
Aviva have given me 13 options and I've narrowed it down to three, of which, International Equity is looking to be my favourite as it's pretty much 50% in the USA and 30% UK & Europe
What do you think?
I'm planning on it only being invested two more years

As it's only being invested two years (fingers crossed) and I'm not looking for mega growth, although that would be lovely, is there any value in Fixed Interest?
I've looked at the fund's performance and the arse has dropped out of it, but is it on the road to recovery!
What would your expectations be on this fund?

Third one is this fund
Is Nvidia driving this growth?

@SWP's back
As it's totally stagnated for the past 12 months, I'm going to transfer my property fund into another fund
Aviva have given me 13 options and I've narrowed it down to three, of which, International Equity is looking to be my favourite as it's pretty much 50% in the USA and 30% UK & Europe
What do you think?
I'm planning on it only being invested two more years

As it's only being invested two years (fingers crossed) and I'm not looking for mega growth, although that would be lovely, is there any value in Fixed Interest?
I've looked at the fund's performance and the arse has dropped out of it, but is it on the road to recovery!
What would your expectations be on this fund?

Third one is this fund
Is Nvidia driving this growth?

Why is it only being invested for 2 years?

Good question
That’s when I’ll be on the verge of retirement
i did mean to copy you in as well as SWP
Depends on what you plan to do with the funds at that point. Are you going to use drawdown and keep the funds invested or buy an annuity?

If drawdown, have you checked whether the plan you have will allow that or will you have to upgrade it to one that will with Aviva or even move elsewhere? A lot of older style pensions don’t have drawdown available but Aviva do have a more modern platform.

Are you looking to take the maximum tax-free lump sum in 2 years?

If buying an annuity, any fund that has risk can backfire as evidenced by that Fixed Interest one.

Depends on what you plan to do with the funds at that point. Are you going to use drawdown and keep the funds invested or buy an annuity?

If drawdown, have you checked whether the plan you have will allow that or will you have to upgrade it to one that will with Aviva or even move elsewhere? A lot of older style pensions don’t have drawdown available but Aviva do have a more modern platform.

Are you looking to take the maximum tax-free lump sum in 2 years?

If buying an annuity, any fund that has risk can backfire as evidenced by that Fixed Interest one.
Really don’t know if it would be drawdown or annuity as annuity rates are pretty decent again
I stuck a figure into Aviva’s basic annuity calculator which asked if my funds were with Aviva and if I wanted the tax free sum, which I said yes to, and the resulting figure was what I’d be looking to drawdown at
Obviously, there are other questions to be answered which would affect that figure

Really don’t know if it would be drawdown or annuity as annuity rates are pretty decent again
I stuck a figure into Aviva’s basic annuity calculator which asked if my funds were with Aviva and if I wanted the tax free sum, which I said yes to, and the resulting figure was what I’d be looking to drawdown at
Obviously, there are other questions to be answered which would affect that figure
Obviously if you do take an annuity then you need to shop around/seek advice.

There are also products called fixed term annuities that might be suitable for you.

If annuity and taking tax free cash in 2 years is possible then you need to be careful on how much risk you take as a two year term is not long and investment decisions can backfire over a short time period. Aviva also have a pension cash fund that might be appropriate for some or all of the funds in this situation. Cash funds are returning about 5% on average at the moment.

Obviously if you do take an annuity then you need to shop around/seek advice.

There are also products called fixed term annuities that might be suitable for you.

If annuity and taking tax free cash in 2 years is possible then you need to be careful on how much risk you take as a two year term is not long and investment decisions can backfire over a short time period. Aviva also have a pension cash fund that might be appropriate for some or all of the funds in this situation. Cash funds are returning about 5% on average at the moment.
Genuinely can’t add anything of worth on top of what this fella has posted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.