PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The difference is that the PL is a group of 20, not a group of 72 spread across 4 divisions and the Premier League has shown itself to be incredibly successful under it's own governance.

They've been putting self interest over wider issues for 30 years and it's made them the most successful football league in the world.

You want to pretend that the Premier League is incapable of running itself because, but what evidence is there for that? Is it not more successful than any other sports league? Is it not growing quicker? Is it not the most competitive of the big football leagues? Where is it failing?
Yes, but the EFL clubs will say the PL success has partly been at their expense. Currently, the PL cannot agree a reasonably fair financial support for the roots clubs on whom the pyramid depends.
It is perfectly possible to make a case for an elite league of limited numbers (PL) and a semi professional, self supporting set of leagues of the rest, but that is not our preferred model. The unified pyramid needs financial support to make it work.

Seems to me that the only reasonable punishment is a transfer ban, minimum 1 year and continuing until the club show that they meet the rules, whatever they are that week.

Financial penalties do nothing other than make the problem worse, and points deductions penalise the fans.
If we are still going to pretend that these rules are an attempt to keep the league fair and clubs out of financial trouble then it's quite hard to find a sanction that doesn't make said finances worse.

Yes, but the EFL clubs will say the PL success has partly been at their expense. Currently, the PL cannot agree a reasonably fair financial support for the roots clubs on whom the pyramid depends.
It is perfectly possible to make a case for an elite league of limited numbers (PL) and a semi professional, self supporting set of leagues of the rest, but that is not our preferred model. The unified pyramid needs financial support to make it work.

And yet after approaching 40 years of the PL being in charge and seperate from the EFL, Britain has the deepest and best attended footbally pyramid in Europe and the Championship is the 7th or 8th richest league in the world.

This is pretty central to my point, a lot of posters are depserate to come at the Premier League from the perspective that it's failing and not fit for purpose...but it's just not. It's one of the most successful businesses and industries in the country. It's got some potential long term problems on the horizon, but they're taking steps to fix them by exploring changing regulations.

The ceiling is already being set with the new FFP/PSR rules where spending (on players and wages and some other stuff) can't be more than 70% of revenue.

So that's where the limit is. You pay tax into a big pot for every £1 you spend over your limit.

In American sports all the tax money is then pooled and given out to the teams that are under their limit - but that doesn't have to be set in stone.

The main point of the new proposal is that it makes it possible to overspend short term, but makes it unsustaiable long term by being expensive, and you get diminishing returns the more you overspend because more and more of your "extra" money is going to tax instead of your squad.

That PSR rule hasn't been voted on. All the reports was they were going the uefa ffp road and it could be 85% that was just the chat at last meeting! They seem to come up with this new one which will be discussed next meeting

I want you to name them, because as soon as you do, the idea that the entire league is built and organised around benefitting them crumbles.
Are people arguing that? I wouldn’t subscribe to that theory but the fact that some clubs have more influence than others has leaked into governance:
- Masters was approved by just two of the redshirts.
- Proposed rules aimed just at us (Stefan Borson)
- City alone being ‘charged‘ by the PL with breaking UEFA rules. Were United charged by the PL after failing UEFA rules recently?
- How much influence did the redshirts have in formulating 115 charges?
I am sure there are other instances of which I am not aware.

Seems to me that the only reasonable punishment is a transfer ban, minimum 1 year and continuing until the club show that they meet the rules, whatever they are that week.

Financial penalties do nothing other than make the problem worse, and points deductions penalise the fans.

100%, it's the only thing that works christ knows why they've ruled it out. Transfer ban until you've reduced any debts to a certain level. It's not hard is it they just don't want to do it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.