Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 16 - Spaced Out - RobMCFC (pg 338)

Well it is a question that I did mull over a bit but came to the conclusion that if I barred evolutions then people might not actually nominate anything at all. The only thing I would say is the greater the contrast between point A and if not B then C or D, the better. If there's a WTF moment like last years Andre 3000 album then all the better.

Evolutions are interesting though in that sometimes, in hindsight, you can hear the seeds of the latter incarnations in early stuff. Example being when you really listen, I'm not sure we should be that surprised where Depeche Mode ended up compared to where they started.

Depeche Mode are one that came to mind. Funnily enough, Radiohead surely need a mention here as well. U2 have had a habit of trying things out. Then there are drastic departures, like No Doubt ditching ska-punk after someone getting Gwen a make-up kit for Christmas and convincing her she was pretty enough to be a manufactured pop star. Taylor Swift tried to go back from pop diva to more 'americana' roots at one point. I've got a few more which I might save for if I nominate them. But there is probably a wider range than people will immediately think.

SLIDE ON OVER

The Big Door Prize
Levee Town ,great track that I was going to pick before Rob got in there!

Best track I’d not heard before ,
Midnight in Harlem ,I’ve not heard any TTB songs before this was a beaut
Susan Tedeschi sounds an awful lot like Bonnie Raitt which is no bad thing.

Others I liked but not heard before
The Heart Collector
Theme from Southern Comfort
Good Arms vs Bad Arms

favourites ive heard before
Auberge
When my train pulls in
Children of Children

all in all another good playlist .

Yes, band (or if solo artist) stays the same. So to your example yes I am thinking more of Mumford and Sons, except I am never actually thinking of Mumford and Sons.
I’m a little confused which isn’t particularly unusual for me.
you say the band or solo artist has to remain the same, yet you have mentioned
Darius Rucker going country not his band Hootie and The Bowfish.
There‘s quite a few artists who have gone solo and reinvented themselves.

I’m a little confused which isn’t particularly unusual for me.
you say the band or solo artist has to remain the same, yet you have mentioned
Darius Rucker going country not his band Hootie and The Bowfish.
There‘s quite a few artists who have gone solo and reinvented themselves.

Lol, you are absolutely right I'm talking bollocks !!! I'm blaming Coatigan for asking me complicated questions when I'm a simpleton.

So yes the Rucker Ruling applies - if the artist has gone solo and changed style significantly they are eligible.

I'll probably struggle with this one.

I like my artists to either stay the same or evolve slowly. Can't immediately think of anything suitable, so will have to concentrate on the song titles.

Somebody like Bowie painting his face and saying "Look, Ma, I'm different!" doesn't do it for me.

That's not what Bowie did. He made some significant musical changes and I suspect I will resort to picking a Bowie track for this playlist subject.

Stven Tyler: "I Make My Own Sunshine". From the Aerosmith lead singer's solo album, a heavy rock album it ain't.

Lol, you are absolutely right I'm talking bollocks !!! I'm blaming Coatigan for asking me complicated questions when I'm a simpleton.
I was betting the under for when you'd get the Coatigan question on this. ;-)

And he's right, lots of band evolution between A to Z, including the Beatles, U2, Yes, Genesis, Van Halen, (even gasp, Rush!) etc., and not just a lead singer change. Gonna give this some thought, though I do have an initial offering right up my alley ready after a proper write-up.

Ok so now we’ve cleared that up.
Eddie Vedder ‘ Sleeping by Myself’
From grunge stalwart to ukulele virtuoso.

Well I'm glad we cleared it up in the direction we did, because I like that song in particular and album in general. Think this album got a mention during the PJ nomination, I like the restraint (or at least the nearest Vedder's gonna get to restraint) he shows on this. Lots of good stuff both original and standards including an idiosyncratic version of dream a little dream

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.