Maine Rd terrace characters

unsworthblue said:
there was a fella in the platt lane who used to wave a dead chicken/turkey round his head.used to sit behind the goal.he was abit of a lively chap.
yeah remember him used to drink in the monkey before the games.. with his chicken!

levets said:
bainy said:
Mad mick!! the first 'guvnor' - lives in sheffield now, still city mad.

Mick Buckley From Oldham. Known as 'general'. Does live in Sheffield. He was the FIRST hooligan to be jailed. Not actually for what he did; but for contempt of court... before the magistrate passed sentence he asked Mick... " is there anything you'd like to state before the court" Mick replied.. "yes... City fer't Cup". Unbelievable but absolutely true!

He looks a shadow of his former self nowadays... but what a character he was...

How the fuck did I forget The General? If memory serves me right, he sat in the North Stand in Maine Road's later years. Brilliant.

were the ryan brothers from broadheath;altrincham ;looked after me when i was ranover by a car-character from alty and maine rd days ;and still goes is carl warbby warbuton

A Blue said:
mancunial said:
late sixties early seventies, les tate, george mcguire, mark britner these lads were very handy to have around seen george last season in the family stand always found them good lads, they got into big trouble on the london underground if i can recollect back in mid seventies travelling to west ham? lifelong true blues always have respect for them?
Remember Les well. Stayed with him at his Aunts in Windsor during a double header in London. He dragged me to Cold Trafford one night while we were queing for Derby tickets, just so we could abuse united fans. I rememder a guy called Gypo who could look after himself. Anyone recall Tiny Davies. Think he managed Mercer Celtic.

Yeah remember him well. Ted was a giant of a man. Also Tony Valenti from Middleton somewhere. I used to play for Swinton Labour Club and we drew Middleton Labour Club in the quarter final of Lancashire Labour Club competition. I asked him how to get to their ground, he said there's no point you turning up cos you wont win anyway.
Also remember a cup replay away to Leicester late 60's when we went on a coach and one lad on there called Sid, who was a real character, used to like a ruck.

raglanblue said:
were the ryan brothers from broadheath;altrincham ;looked after me when i was ranover by a car-character from alty and maine rd days ;and still goes is carl warbby warbuton
Yes mate thats them,steve looks like desperate dan and warbys a star like you say

Ian said:
Anyone remeber the guys name that had MCFC tattood on his dick? Think his nickname was Bulldog![/quote

Bulldog??? Anybody????

I REMEMBER WHEN ST JOHNS AMBULANCE USED TO CARRY THE STRETCHERS ON AND OFF THE PITCH, ONE WAS A RINGER FOR FRED SCUTTLE ( BENNY HILL ) WE HAD PHIL BOYER, GOT HIM FROM SOUTHAMPTON I THINK, ANYWAY HE GOT HURT , AND ON WENT THE AMBULANCE MEN, AS THEY GOT NEAR THE TOUCHLINE THIS FRED SCUTTLES LEGS WENT, HE WENT ARSE OVER TIT AND BOYER FELL OFF THE STRETCHER, NEVER LAUGHED SO MUCH IN MY LIFE, THINK HE FINISHED BOYERS CAREER, MUST HAVE BEEN EARLY SEVENTIES. HAPPY DAYS, CAN STILL SEE IT NOW.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.