Maine Rd terrace characters

portisheadblue said:
A couple of posters on here talked about the "the bus" from Aytoun Street in the 60's ... not sure how many buses there were but me and a mate of mine used to go on the bus for the far flung fixtures ... London, Ipswich and the like (note for the youngsters on here - there was no motorway all the way to London in those days).

Used to leave about midnight ... arrive London for breakfast, game of football in the local park then head off for lunch (beer and a pie), then the fun and then about midnight head back home arriving Sunday morning in Piccadily.

Memory is not what it used to be ... thought the coach was organised by "Les" but maybe that was just the guy we paid, we always had the same driver, one of the stand-out lads I remember was "Denis".

We only did it for a couple of seasons ... then my mate bought a car and I moved to the big smoke.

Nowadays, I occasionally see Eddie Large (of Little and Large fame) around our way and we have a bit of a natter about the good old days and the current days too ... mostly we both watch live on TV or the internet...!!!!!!

Cheers

I'm really enjoying reading this thread it is bringing back memories I thought had been well and truly drank away.

Remember taking "the bus" from Aytoun Street to one of the London games, arrived early hours Saturday morning and the bus dropped everyone off near the playboy club. Out popped a can of spray paint and MCFC, Bell, Lee and Summerbee sprayed all over the club walls within seconds. Had a great night that night in a pub along the Thames, can't remember the name but it was a really popular place.

My only other time I took "the bus" was to Newcastle, wasn't the championship winning game but them lads on "the bus" could certainly look after themselves, knocked shit out of a bunch of Geordie coal men at half time behind the goals and it carried on after the game and throughout the evening.

bada bing said:
That bloke who stood near the ticket office in his orange coat, holding a placard and shouting...

"YOUR ALL SINNERS, REPENT YOUR WAYS"

bloody hell,yes - he used to scare the bejesus out of me when I was a lad...................<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:54 pm --<br /><br />I used to sit with me dad in the main stand, three back and two across from Eddie Large......................

The ticket tout (sadly passed on now) Mickey I think his name was tall, well built half cast guy, big blue great guy. The guys from Sloane street had the pleasure of travelling away on few occasions with these guys, Paddy, Mickey, Macca dont know what they are doing now hope all ok.

All good guys.

Prima

prima said:
The ticket tout (sadly passed on now) Mickey I think his name was tall, well built half cast guy, big blue great guy. The guys from Sloane street had the pleasure of travelling away on few occasions with these guys, Paddy, Mickey, Macca dont know what they are doing now hope all ok.

All good guys.

Prima

Mikey Williams

A lad called Vaughan in a wheelchair who used to booze in the social club after every home match, then you would see him about 8pm wheeling himself down the middle of Claremont Road pissed up and dodging the cars

the old abbey said:
anyone remember the doorman at the social club smallish but stocky guy i gettin on a bit but took no shit,by the way didnt cardiff once kick of in the social?

We had left yound lad of 15 who had travelled with us outside Social Club with a Liverpool fan of same age who was from Huddersfield, they kicked fuck out of both of them, young lad from Huddersfield pulled out a Liverpool scarf and said I support Liverpool they said we don't give a fuck you aren't a scouser

I remember a lad from Crewe in the late 60s who led much of the Kippax singing, he also attended many away games. Can't think why but he was simply known as Crewe.

I remember another guy known as Tiny Ted I think. He was about 6' 3'' and built like a brick shithouse. He also did a bit of scouting at local pitches for City.

Don't know if it makes me a terrace character but in those days I attended all games carrying and banging a blue tambourine.

Not read the previous posts, so apologies if this was covered, oh and not a city character but as we are playing Villa next; anyone remember the werewolf that used to turn up for them at Maine Road?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.