Monchengladbach post match (top of the group)

At the risk of being boring, every result like that — and I'm glad that people are recognizing how poor the first half was, as well as obviously celebrating hugely, as I am — has to be considered in the perspective that we are missing our iconic forward, who is one of the two or three absolute best in the world, and our captain, who also happens to be one of the very best defenders in the world, and the unquestioned natural leader of the team for years now. Already, with Silva back and now starting to buzz (I though Silva was one of the few good things about the first half, never mind the second), we are seeing what we've been missing. All I want is to see our best team, back to full fitness, perform for a couple of months together. Bit sad to see that KDB, who is such a wonderful player, had a quiet and fairly ineffective night. Get all our best players back, and you will see exactly how brilliant this lad is. Sterling made some poor choices in the first half, and was a bit wasteful, but really stepped up and took responsibility in the second half. He is a work in progress, arguably the best young English prospect in the country.
Anyway, it's historic. For the first time ever in this club's history, we top the group. Tonight, I can't help thinking back down the decades to seeing a very naive City — we were really green in Europe then — go out to Fenerbace in the first round of this competition, as it was then. We've come a long way. It's a moving experience. Really.

Last edited:
just read this on the BBC website "In the most dramatic spell of this season's Champions League so far, United thought they were heading for the last-16 while City faced the exit".

WTF?

As great as that comeback was the game was completely overshadowed by the German fans taking over the south stand for me.

I sit in 114 right at the barrier, i'm not exaggerating when i say there were 6 city fans in the lower half of that block as far as i could see up, the rest were openly Gladbach fans. The stewards and police were completely clueless and were all waiting for instructions and doing nothing but getting in the way. The club is so so lucky that the Gladbach fans were a very friendly bunch. It only kicked off when they scored because of City fans kicking off.

Spoke to several police around the barrier, most of them simply dismissed me or ignored me and the few that responded just didn't have a clue what the plan was, there simply wasn't enough police and too many Germans to do anything drastic.

Speaking to a steward at halftime at the barrier as germans tried to scramble over to the away end and asked exactly what the problem was in letting them over, it was surely better them being in there with a very minor crowding issue than them being mixed, he echoed my thoughts but said the people higher up were attempting to work out a plan but couldn't come up with anything.

The police asked me and the people around to move over to 115 as they attempted to make 114 an away section, we refused and stayed put, they dragged out kids who didn't want to move and were on there own because it was too dangerous for them and simply said to us, if it kicks off you're on your own as it's your choice to stay.

The vast majority of them spoke no English, visibly had Gladbach merchandise on show and made no attempt to disguise the fact they were Gladbach fans so why the hell were they even allowed through the gates in our end?

As it turns out, we won, we went mental in the makeshift away end and enjoyed it immensely and had not a single ounce of trouble from the respectful Gladbach fans but it was borderline criminal organisation from City, from the stewards and from the police together. Only the Gladbach fans being very pleasant, together with the south stand being half full anyway and no beer prevented it from turning nasty. Surely somebody has to be sacked for that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.