Nicolas Otamendi 2015/16 performances

Another example of stats not being everything they appear to be. Technically when he smashes the ball into a player it's a completed pass regardless of whether or not that player manages to actually control it or keep the ball or whether it bounces aight back to the opposition. His passing most of the time is as clueless as his defensive positioning.

Take one of the last passes i remember him making tonight for example. He had time on the ball about 20 yards from our goal around the edge of the D. He could of played it inside but opted to push it out wide and let the opposition close him down, he then after some hesitance dinks a 15-20 yard ball right to the edge of the touchline for a backtracking Sagna to stretch for who also had an opposition player right up his arse, Sagna touched the ball but it went out for a Madrid throw.

Now technically that's a completed pass for Otamendi but in reality he's needlessly given the ball away fairly high up in our own half after taking far too long on the ball. And that's without factoring in the time of the game where we're losing 1-0 in injury time and this is happening. There was an initial option to play it to an open Sagna which he declined, then an option to play it inside which he choose not to do too and then as he was closed down he had the option of just pumping it upfield where Players were making runs but instead he plays a shit ball to Sagna who even if he had managed to control it and keep it in would of left him with no option whatsoever and would of left him almost guaranteed to lose possession.

Just to reiterate, i'm not laying any blame on him tonight nor any of the defence, they all performed well overall over the two legs to limit Madrid to not much in my eyes. But i can't believe people still think this guy is good on the ball and describe it as one of his positive attributes.
This is thst bluemoon reasoning at play.
So based on psg n real performance , people who know pep..do u believe otamendi is "his" kind of defender ..this laporta guy from Bilbao is an upgrade over otamendi in pep's style of play ??

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk
Pep has worked with different types of defenders, including Mangala types. Otamendi's errors wouldn't put him in good stead I don't think. His work rate (both in and out of possession), effort, and Injury free status on the other hand, gives him a good chance. Not to mention he has been our besst CB this season.

He's performed well in the Champions League, barely put a foot wrong in 4 big games against PSG & Real Madrid.

Any criticism involving the offside trap should be aimed at Pellegrini, not Otamendi, as the defenders are clearly playing under instructions to play the offside trap.
Keeping Bale and Modric on side shouldn't qualify as barely putting a foot wrong. That said, I think he is currently our best CB.

It's seemed to me that in big games against top teams they have both done pretty well but against weaker 'english style' teams they've made glaring errors. These mistakes appear to me to have decreased too however and is probably a sign that they're developing their understanding with each other about how to play against a different style of football then they are used to. Anyone good, young, decent defender coming in now is going to take a while to settle so we may as well stick with these rather than burning and starting all over.

certain players will be a clear reflection on how effective Guardiola's influence/training is

Otamendi will definitely be one to watch in this respect

hes hopeless
You have obviously never played in defence. As a GK I would love a player like Otamendi in front of me, 100% committed, puts himself on the line, reads the game well (IMO) and carries the ball out of defence rather than just hoofing it into row Z (although there are times when that is the best option). I have seen far worse defenders who have spent years in the premier league (stand up Phil Jagielka). I think he deserves a full season in the premier league before being judged.

It's funny isn't it? Any new striker who scores a few goals in his first season ( e.g. the little urine (sorry pea)) quite often does not do as well in his second, it takes class like Sergio to do it again and again, but they are hailed as the next messiah (cue quote from monty python) A defender however has every mistake pointed out despite the fact that it is his first season in the league and he has to adapt to players and referees. |I think he has done well.

You have obviously never played in defence. As a GK I would love a player like Otamendi in front of me, 100% committed, puts himself on the line, reads the game well (IMO) and carries the ball out of defence rather than just hoofing it into row Z (although there are times when that is the best option). I have seen far worse defenders who have spent years in the premier league (stand up Phil Jagielka). I think he deserves a full season in the premier league before being judged.

It's funny isn't it? Any new striker who scores a few goals in his first season ( e.g. the little urine (sorry pea)) quite often does not do as well in his second, it takes class like Sergio to do it again and again, but they are hailed as the next messiah (cue quote from monty python) A defender however has every mistake pointed out despite the fact that it is his first season in the league and he has to adapt to players and referees. |I think he has done well.

Agreed, Otamendi has been our best defender this season and is worthy of being in our plans going forward. My only criticism is that he spends a lot of time on his ass, but I like his commitment

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.