SSD Not Recognized - Help Request

The Silver Surfer

I have my son's old Acer Aspire One D270 8.9" pc with Windows 7. (Don't laugh)
It came with 1gb RAM which Ive upgraded to 2gb (max)
I have a plan to put Windows 10 on as apparently it runs really well on older devices and it would make it a neat little device.
*there is a compatibility issue with the Intel Graphics Accelerator 3600 which prevents a direct upgrade but you can install Windows 10 from an ISO file on a USB stick and run the driver for the IGA 3600 in WIndows 7 mode*

Anyway, firstly, I cloned the HDD to a 64gb kingston SSD just so the unit is as speedy as possible
but when I boot I get the following:

Realtek PCIe FE family controller series v1.27 (10/31/11)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

In the BIOS the "HDD" is listed as a Kingston 64GB - even though its a SSD
SATA is set to AHCI Mode
Boot Sequence is
HDD0
USB FDD
USB HDD
USB CDROM
ATAPI CDROM
Network Boot : Realtek PXE B01 D00

Now as it lists a HDD it obviously does not recognize an SSD, so I contacted Acer support who replied:

This unit does not support SSD drive, you can add hardware on the unit; however, by doing so, if you damage any internal components of the product, this will void the warranty.

We neither recommend nor support upgrading/downgrading hardware/software on the product as it may lead to compatibility issues. If you wish to upgrade/downgrade hardware/software on the product, we request you to contact a local technician for assistance.

I would think this means it can be done but what would it involve? Anyone with any ideas?
BIOS update? Motherboard driver updates?

Thanks.

I have had that computer for about 4 yrs,12 hours a day every day,had the odd brain fart but works a treat,i upgraded my back up to windows 10 and really regretted it so i'm sticking with windows 7

I have my son's old Acer Aspire One D270 8.9" pc with Windows 7. (Don't laugh)
It came with 1gb RAM which Ive upgraded to 2gb (max)
I have a plan to put Windows 10 on as apparently it runs really well on older devices and it would make it a neat little device.
*there is a compatibility issue with the Intel Graphics Accelerator 3600 which prevents a direct upgrade but you can install Windows 10 from an ISO file on a USB stick and run the driver for the IGA 3600 in WIndows 7 mode*

Anyway, firstly, I cloned the HDD to a 64gb kingston SSD just so the unit is as speedy as possible
but when I boot I get the following:

Realtek PCIe FE family controller series v1.27 (10/31/11)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

In the BIOS the "HDD" is listed as a Kingston 64GB - even though its a SSD
SATA is set to AHCI Mode
Boot Sequence is
HDD0
USB FDD
USB HDD
USB CDROM
ATAPI CDROM
Network Boot : Realtek PXE B01 D00

Now as it lists a HDD it obviously does not recognize an SSD, so I contacted Acer support who replied:

This unit does not support SSD drive, you can add hardware on the unit; however, by doing so, if you damage any internal components of the product, this will void the warranty.

We neither recommend nor support upgrading/downgrading hardware/software on the product as it may lead to compatibility issues. If you wish to upgrade/downgrade hardware/software on the product, we request you to contact a local technician for assistance.

I would think this means it can be done but what would it involve? Anyone with any ideas?
BIOS update? Motherboard driver updates?

Thanks.
Try changing the boot mode to Legacy+UEFI.

It should be on the boot section of bios menu near top, well it is on mine, about 6 tabs across.

The Boot menu only has a boot priority order setting, nothing else, and I can't see it in any of the other tabs either.

Could the Bios be locked down, hence the Acer response they "don't support it"?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.